Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/22 17:13:09 UTC

Re: Branch for 1.3

Mikhail:
Any plan when to spin 1.3 RC0 ?

HBaseCon is not very far.

I was wondering if 1.3 release can be done before HBaseCon.

Cheers

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Dima Spivak <ds...@cloudera.com>.
Yeah, let me get a few machines going tomorrow and script something
together that uses git bisect along with clusterdock to stand up clusters
and run ITBLL. In the meantime, should we open a bug to address why the
test doesn't fail even when nodes are dropped from other CFs?

-Dima

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Dima Spivak <ds...@cloudera.com>.
Hey Elliott (et al.),

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

wrote:

> Yeah,  branch-1.3 was cut some time ago and for a while most of commits
> going to branch-1 would also go to it, but last few days
> I'm trying to let only the following things go in:
>
>  - criticals and blockers
>  - test fixes and other patches stabilizing the branch
>  - cherry-picks that were missed earlier.
>  - oneliners / doc changes etc
>
> Appreciate understanding and help :)
>
> -Mikhail
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> nvm, it is there already.
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Mikhail, I suggest that we create the branch-1.3 now so that you can
>> > control what goes in and what not. branch-1 is free for all usually.
>> >
>> > Enis

>> just

>> for

>> olorinbant@gmail.com>

>> olorinbant@gmail.com

> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Yeah,  branch-1.3 was cut some time ago and for a while most of commits
going to branch-1 would also go to it, but last few days
I'm trying to let only the following things go in:

 - criticals and blockers
 - test fixes and other patches stabilizing the branch
 - cherry-picks that were missed earlier.
 - oneliners / doc changes etc

Appreciate understanding and help :)

-Mikhail

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> wrote:

> nvm, it is there already.
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:06 PM, Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Mikhail, I suggest that we create the branch-1.3 now so that you can
> > control what goes in and what not. branch-1 is free for all usually.
> >
> > Enis
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 9:24 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Suddenly we had kind of a spike in jiras filed with fixVersion=1.3 last
> >> few
> >> days, and I really want to get it out one of this days, so I want to
> just
> >> stabilize it now.
> >>
> >> I kicked some jiras labeled as "major" out of 1.3, and if there's
> >> something
> >> affecting branch-1.3 but not "Blocker" or "Critical" let's target it for
> >> 1.3.1 and / or 1.4.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Mikhail

> >> releases

> olorinbant@gmail.com

> >> kind
> >> people

> >> any

> >> --
> >> Thanks,
> >> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
nvm, it is there already.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> I'm not aware of any, and changes made to 1.3 shouldn't render 2.4
> unsupportable.
>
> On the second thought, if we want to have to maintain less minor releases
> in 1.* line and encourage folks to update,
> we need to keep maintaining those Hadoop versions, yeah.
>
> Let's leave 2.4 as supported.
>
> -Mikhail
>
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm thinking to move Hadoop 2.4.* from Supported to Not Tested, to kind
>> of
>> > encourage people to move and have less versions to test. How many people
>> > want to stick with Hadoop 2.4 yet upgrade to HBase 1.3?
>> >

>> Hadoop 2.4 is still considered a "safe bet" stable release for those
>> in LTM mode.
>>
>> Our compatibility guidelines say that we won't force an incompatible
>> dependency
>> upgrade in a minor version. Do we know if Hadoop 2.4 -> 2.5 includes any
>> documented incompatibilities?
>>
>> --
>> busbey

> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
I'm not aware of any, and changes made to 1.3 shouldn't render 2.4
unsupportable.

On the second thought, if we want to have to maintain less minor releases
in 1.* line and encourage folks to update,
we need to keep maintaining those Hadoop versions, yeah.

Let's leave 2.4 as supported.

-Mikhail

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm thinking to move Hadoop 2.4.* from Supported to Not Tested, to kind
> of
> > encourage people to move and have less versions to test. How many people
> > want to stick with Hadoop 2.4 yet upgrade to HBase 1.3?
> >

> Hadoop 2.4 is still considered a "safe bet" stable release for those
> in LTM mode.
>
> Our compatibility guidelines say that we won't force an incompatible
> dependency
> upgrade in a minor version. Do we know if Hadoop 2.4 -> 2.5 includes any
> documented incompatibilities?
>
> --
> busbey

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
We should have a conclusion for HBASE-15406 (roll forward or backwards)
before 1.3.0.

Enis

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Basically everything I waited for to land in 1.3 is done so it's time to
start rolling RCs.

in HBASE-15344 I'm thinking about supported versions, it looks like they
could be the same as for 1.2

I'm thinking to move Hadoop 2.4.* from Supported to Not Tested, to kind of
encourage people to move and have less versions to test. How many people
want to stick with Hadoop 2.4 yet upgrade to HBase 1.3?

-Mikhail

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks Sean, I indeed missed that looking at the list of issues. I'm not
> > familiar with Phoenix, but will try to look at the HBase side and help
> > reviewing patches here. I also see that HBASE-14845 is marked critical
> (and
> > 's been for long time), do you want that patch in for 1.3 or should we
> bump
> > it to 1.3.1/1.4.0?
> >

> I never managed to get it out of test scope, and I doubt it'll get
> done in a timely manner.
>
> Best to bump it out.

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> [...]
> so far haven't pinned it down. If anyone has more familiarity with
> Phoenix than me, another set of eyes would be great.
>
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I'm planning to roll first RC for branch 1.3 tomorrow, was holding off on
> > the fix for HBASE-15811 to get committed. At the moment I'm not aware of
> > any major bugfixes marked for 1.3. I've moved / moving to 1.4 several
> jiras
> > without recent movement in there, like:
> >
> >  - HBASE-15593 (could still go in 1.3 if committed soon? Seems like no
> > objections to it so far)
> >  - HBASE-15454 (improvements in date-tiered compactions, waiting for more
> > perf testing?)
> >  - HBASE-15691 (concurrent modification exception in bucket cache in
> > branch-1,
> >     this is indeed a bug, but seems like branch-1 have lived without this
> > fix for long enough so far)
> >
> > Ping me on the above if there's movement and desire go get it in.
> >
> > There're two jiras which should be ready to get committed pretty soon,
> > related to interfaces:
> >
> >  - HBASE-15780 (make AuthUtils public) and
> >  - HBASE-15779 (examples for the above).
> >
> > Let me know if you have any concerns, or anything which could have
> escaped
> > my view and should go to 1.3.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Mikhail
> >

> > There are few jiras I've kicked out of 1.3 schedule:
> >
> >   - HBASE-15454, improvements for date-tiered compactions waiting for
> more
> > perf testing
> >

> > So
> >
> > On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 10:32 AM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Heads up on where we are with branch-1.3.
> >>
> >> Lots of stuff we had outstanding 10 days ago got committed and now we
> are
> >> down to just 3 bugfixes
> >> and 2 features which I'm looking to get in, all have patches in review.
> >> hope we could get them in
> >> in next few days and then I can start preparing RCs.
> >>
> >> Bugfixes:
> >>
> >> HBASE-15691 Port HBASE-10205 (ConcurrentModificationException in
> >> BucketAllocator) to branch-1 (Andrew/Stack let me know if I can help
> here?
> >> Any more performance testing we wait for?)
> >> HBASE-15615 Wrong sleep time when RegionServerCallable need retry
> (almost
> >> there, just some more tests around would be great)
> >> HBASE-15593 Time limit of scanning should be offered by client (Stack -
> >> should we get it in or you're looking for more tests?)
> >>
> >> Features:
> >>
> >> HBASE-15454 Archive store files older than max age (Duo / Heng / Enis do
> >> we wait for more reviews/tests?)
> >> HBASE-15773 CellCounter improvements (should be pretty straightforward

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
busbey

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

wrote:

> Heads up on where we are with branch-1.3.
>
> Lots of stuff we had outstanding 10 days ago got committed and now we are
> down to just 3 bugfixes
> and 2 features which I'm looking to get in, all have patches in review. I
> hope we could get them in
> in next few days and then I can start preparing RCs.
>
> Bugfixes:
>
> HBASE-15691 Port HBASE-10205 (ConcurrentModificationException in
> BucketAllocator) to branch-1 (Andrew/Stack let me know if I can help here?
> Any more performance testing we wait for?)
> HBASE-15615 Wrong sleep time when RegionServerCallable need retry (almost
> there, just some more tests around would be great)
> HBASE-15593 Time limit of scanning should be offered by client (Stack -
> should we get it in or you're looking for more tests?)
>
> Features:
>
> HBASE-15454 Archive store files older than max age (Duo / Heng / Enis do
> we wait for more reviews/tests?)
> HBASE-15773 CellCounter improvements (should be pretty straightforward to
> get in)
>
> Let me know if I missed anything.
>
> -Mikhail
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:20 PM, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Mikhail
>>
>> On 4/27/16, ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I saw Andy's comment. Will create a patch for trunk also and will commit
>> > both together.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Ram

>> branch-1.3.
>> have

>> where

>> (HBASE-15454,
>> one -
>> -

>> would
>> start

>> (besides,

>> update

>> there

>> in

>> get

>> --
>> Thanks,
>> Michael Antonov

> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> -Mikhail
>
> On 4/27/16, ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I saw Andy's comment. Will create a patch for trunk also and will commit
> > both together.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ram
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Ram! It seems like that's fixed now (the problem when we don't
> >> compact often enough in TestHRegion).

> >> The
> have

> >> guess

> >> before

> -
> >> what
> >> if

> >> olorinbant@gmail.com

> would

> >> big
> >> good

> >> metrics

> there
> >> in

> in

> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

-Mikhail

On 4/27/16, ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw Andy's comment. Will create a patch for trunk also and will commit
> both together.
>
> Regards
> Ram
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Ram! It seems like that's fixed now (the problem when we don't
>> compact often enough in TestHRegion).

>> > - HBASE-15697,
>> > Regarding this - HBASE-14970 is found in both branch-1 and branch-1.3.
>> The
>> > patch for HBASE-15697 solves the ulimit issue with respect number of
>> > open
>> > files. Once Andrew verifies it we can commit the patch and you can have
>> > that in the branch-1.3 release IMHO.
>> >
>> > Thanks Mikhail for the heads up.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Ram

>> > (pending
>> > in
>> guess

>> > good
>> before

>> > branch.

>> what
>> if

>> olorinbant@gmail.com

>> > balancer,
>> > like

>> > the

>> big
>> good

>> metrics

>> > enis.soz@gmail.com

>> in

>> > scope
>> > when
>> > 'the

>> > past

>> > for

>> > special

Michael Antonov

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Branch for 1.3

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Last time I've tried to run 1.3 builds there were issues with balancer, which are fixed now. There are several patches I definitely would like to pull in, other than that I feel we are pretty close. I'll start spinning internal builds in a few days and if things look good will start preparing RC's next week or so.