Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Hagar Delest <de...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/20 18:28:59 UTC

Re: volunteer activity tracking

Le 20/11/2019 à 09:33, Jörg Schmidt a écrit :
> for example: At first glance, activity is activity, but I think there
> is a certain difference between the activity of people who only work
> in the project because they are paid for it by companies and people
> who work in the project out of their own interest.
I don't understand the point. If he someone is paid to work on the
project, at least he produces something. Why would it be considered less
than the energy put by someone contributing of his own? What if the guy
is paid AND he likes what he does?

If there was any 3rd party influence, that would mean that at least
someone is trying to steer the project with some agenda. According to
the development level of the project, I'm not sure we should be afraid
about that, or should we?

Let's be realistic and work on the problems instead of preventing
hypothetical wrong use of the instances.

Hagar (EN Forum moderator)
Not a developer, just admiring those remaining on the project.

Re: volunteer activity tracking

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 24.11.2019 13:19, Jörg Schmidt wrote:

> [...]

I don't know anything about this story, but in general terms: as far as
I'm aware, a software grant (or other kind of IP contribution) can go
directly to an existing PMC without having to pass through the
Incubator. If anyone said otherwise, they were simply wrong.

-- Brane

RE: volunteer activity tracking

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Of course my answer to Michael is not about the dissent being better, but just about the fact that we have to be willing to learn from our own mistakes and to implement improvements.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: volunteer activity tracking

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
On 24.11.19 09:30, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
>> Normally we discuss to get a consensus. Crucial votes are
>> out-of-favour.
>> This is the only way to keep the community together.
> No, that is only a way of unification.

But if there is no unification, voices have not been taken sufficiently
into account.

If this happens to often, people will go away, and the community is
diminished.

A concent is that you accept the proposed resolution, even if you do not
agree with the others opinion on the vote.

A resolution is always an action, or a by-rule or a goal to achieve.

I do not see how your argument is not supporting Michaels argument.

So imho you argument needs to be: Yes, that is a way of unification.

Posted by "Dr. Michael Stehmann" <an...@rechtsanwalt-stehmann.de>.
Hello,

Am 21.11.19 um 14:42 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> Or are members of the PMC not allowed to have different opinions when voting? And if they may, may they not have different opinions in the future than at the time when they became a PMC member?

Normally we discuss to get a consensus. Crucial votes are out-of-favour.
This is the only way to keep the community together.

Kind regards
Michael

RE: volunteer activity tracking

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

I mean that community members became PMC members in the way the Apache rules dictate.

> > Or are members of the PMC not allowed to have different
> opinions when voting?
>

> They surely are, but a healthy community will reach a
> consensus through
> discussion, not by majority fiat through a vote. This is actually a
> crucial point and what the ASF is all about: and, if you find yourself
> making decisions by voting, rather than the vote being just a way to
> formally confirm prior consensus, then something has gone very wrong.

I think so as much as you do.
Unfortunately, I also feel that some project or PMC members (not all) are not welcome to make critical remarks. So far, I still hope I'm wrong.

> Different opinions /should/ be ironed out through discussion.
> If they're
> not, eventually the community will break up. If the community finds
> itself unable to form consensus about some topic, it's better to
> postpone any decision, or explore alternatives.
>

> > And if they may, may they not have different opinions in
> the future than at the time when they became a PMC member?
>

> Of course they may. That's a normal consequence of learning,
> after all.

Thank you. It's good to hear that there are people who see it that way.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: volunteer activity tracking

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 21.11.2019 13:35, Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,

If you have evidence that specific people have a secret agenda to
undermine or otherwise steer this project in ways that are not in the
best interests of the users, then by all means bring it up, either here,
or on the private@ list, or to the Board. Open discussion is definitely
encouraged at the ASF.

But please be careful if you do: saying "I have a feeling" is not evidence.

-- Brane

RE: volunteer activity tracking

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

The "development level of the project" is not a criterion for this.

greetings,
Jörg