Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2017/02/01 17:05:24 UTC

Re: project related configsets need to be deployed in both data and solr install folders ?

Based on your description of the problem, and the fact that explicitly
setting configSetBaseDir in your solr.xml works, I suspect there is some
sort of weird bug in how the "default" configSetBaseDir is determined in
some diff code paths in Solr.

We should definitely file a jira issue tracking this -- i would have done
so already, but to be completley honest: I got a little lost in reading
your initial email as far as how you have solr installed, and how you are
running it.

Can you please create a new "Solr" jira here...

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa

... and include the following details...

1) a description of how you installed solr - directory listings of
the various dirs making it clear which files are where would be helpful.

2) a copy of the solr.in.sh * solr.xml files for each "project"

3) an example of exactly how you start solr (ie: the exact bin/solr
command you run)

4) the exact error you get when creating a collection depending on which
directory does/doesn't contain a configset.

(Ideally: to make it really clear what's going on, it would be great if
you could run this test with a "foo" configset in one dir, and a "bar"
configset in the other dir, and show us what the diff error messages look
like depending on which configset you try to use)

5) note how things change when you add configSetBaseDir

Does that make sense?

: Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 16:38:33 -0700 (MST)
: From: Renee Sun <re...@mcafee.com>
: To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
: Subject: Re: project related configsets need to be deployed in both data and
:     solr install folders ?
:
: Thanks Erick!
:
: I looked at solr twiki though if configSetBaseDir is not set, the default
: should be SOLR_HOME/configsets:
:
: configSetBaseDir
:
: 	The directory under which configsets for solr cores can be found. Defaults
: to SOLR_HOME/configsets
:
: and I do have my solr started with :
:
: -Dsolr.solr.home=/myprojectdata/solr/data
:
: I also deploy my config into:
:
: /myprojectdata/solr/data/configsets/myproject_configs
:
: anyways, looks like the default is not working?
:
: I found this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-6158, which seems to
: talk about the configSetBaseDir issue ...
:
: I do set configSetBaseDir in solr.xml and it works now. Just wonder why the
: default wont work. Or I might did something else wrong.
:
:
:
:
:
: --
: View this message in context: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/project-related-configsets-need-to-be-deployed-in-both-data-and-solr-install-folders-tp4317897p4318163.html
: Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
:

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: project related configsets need to be deployed in both data and solr install folders ?

Posted by Renee Sun <re...@mcafee.com>.
thanks for your time!

Re: project related configsets need to be deployed in both data and solr install folders ?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Renee: Huh ... so sounds like something must have been wonky in your
original install?

Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for following up.

: Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 15:09:54 -0700 (MST)
: From: Renee Sun <re...@mcafee.com>
: To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
:     solr install folders ?
:
: Hi Chris,
: since I have been playing with this install, and I am not certain if I have
: unknowingly messed some other settings. I want to avoid put in a false Jira
: wasting your time.
:
: I wiped out everything on my solr box and did  a fresh install of solr
: 6.4.0, made sure my config file set are placed in the data folder (
: /myprojectdata/solr/data/configsets/myproject_configs ).  My solr home is
: set to  /myprojectdata/solr/data , it is WORKING now.
:
: I did not have to specify configSetBaseDir in the solr.xml (its in the data
: folder  /myprojectdata/solr/data/solr.xml, NOT the one in install folder
: /opt/solr/server/solr/solr.xml), the default correctly point at the solr
: home which is my data folder, and find the config file set.
:
: So there is no problem, everything works fine, I can create new core without
: any issue. There is no bug whatsoever.
:
: Thank you for all your help!
:
: