Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2005/05/24 20:39:03 UTC

Release notes generation

I just committed changes to the projectinfo plugin that will generate
release notes for a particular version of forrest from status.xml.

If you request http://localhost:8888/releaseNotes_0.7-dev.html you will
be given the release notes for 0.7.

I also enabled the Text plugin to allow
http://localhost:8888/releaseNotes_0.7-dev.txt However, there are a few
problems to be resolved with the layout of this version.

The notes are created from status.xml. Actions that have
@importance="high" will appear in the release notes. The initial text in
the page comes from the new (optional) element "notes".

In future we should write our status.xml actions with this in mind:

- should it be importance="high"?
- will the action read correctly in the release notes?

Let me know if you can see any improvements to be made.

Ross

Re: Release notes generation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Juan Jose Pablos wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >
> >>I just committed changes to the projectinfo plugin that will generate
> >>release notes for a particular version of forrest from status.xml.
> >>
> >>If you request http://localhost:8888/releaseNotes_0.7-dev.html you will
> >>
> >>Let me know if you can see any improvements to be made.
> >
> >Do we need to keep old copies on our svn?
> >why do we need 10 RELEASE-NOTES-0.* files?
>
> They are not in SVN, they are dynamically generated from status.xml when
> a request of the above format is recieved. Currently there is no link to
> any release notes within site. One should be added of course, but there
> is nothing to say that we have to keep it there in a subsequent release.
>
> There is duplication in the notes section. I was thinking about moving
> out some parts into a different file, but that is for another day (or
> someone else)

There are crossed wires here. Cheche was talking about the
files in SVN:forrest/etc/RELEASE-NOTES-0.*.txt
The relevant file gets added to the release distribution
by the Ant build system.

You are right Cheche, we do not need to keep release notes
for old versions. Just nobody ever tidied up this area.

--David

Re: Release notes generation

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I just committed changes to the projectinfo plugin that will generate
> release notes for a particular version of forrest from status.xml.
>
> If you request http://localhost:8888/releaseNotes_0.7-dev.html you will
>
> Let me know if you can see any improvements to be made.

Do we need to keep old copies on our svn?
why do we need 10 RELEASE-NOTES-0.* files?

Cheers,
cheche