Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> on 2008/05/14 13:45:15 UTC

Hama proposal, was: [VOTE] Accept Hama into the Incubator

Edward J. Yoon wrote:
[...]
> == Core Developers ==
>
> The initial set of committers includes folks from the
> [http://hadoop.apache.org Hadoop] & [http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase
> Hbase] communities. We have varying degrees of experience with
> Apache-style open source development, ranging from none to ASF
> Members.

Hi Edward,

can you elaborate on who of the initial committers are ASF
members?  Maybe you meant committers?

Also, a mentor needs to be an Incubator PMC member.  Not sure
any of your proposed mentors are.  If they're Apache members,
they can just ask to become IPMC members.

HTH,
Thilo

Re: Hama proposal, was: [VOTE] Accept Hama into the Incubator

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.
> I think you'll find it difficult to obtain 3 binding +1s until
> you have enough (at least 2) Mentors.  If you, Jeff and Ian
> already are Apache Members this will be very easy and there's
> no reason to delay the vote, IMHO.

Thank you for your opinion.

I would like to continue this proposal; Ian and Jeff already made a
good offer of assistance even if there is no qualifications.

Thanks,
Edward

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Edward J. Yoon wrote:
> >
> > > Also, a mentor needs to be an Incubator PMC member.  Not sure
> > > any of your proposed mentors are.  If they're Apache members,
> > > they can just ask to become IPMC members.
> > >

> > Oh... Thank you for your advice.
> > Then, Should we ask to become IPMC members before mentoring and delay the
> vote?
> >

> I think you'll find it difficult to obtain 3 binding +1s until
> you have enough (at least 2) Mentors.  If you, Jeff and Ian
> already are Apache Members this will be very easy and there's
> no reason to delay the vote, IMHO.
>
> And just to be perfectly clear, when I say Apache Member, I
> mean in the sense of
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#asf-members
>
> Description of the Mentor role is here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Mentor
>
> --Thilo

B. Regards,
Edward J. Yoon,
http://blog.udanax.org

Re: Hama proposal, was: [VOTE] Accept Hama into the Incubator

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@windwardsolutions.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Jeff Eastman
> <je...@windwardsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:

>> qualifications.

>>> Ian Holsman is an Apache member and can become a member of the
>>> Incubator PMC by simply sending a request to the Incubator PMC chair.
>>> Jeff doesn't appear to be an Apache member
>>>
>>> Niall

>> the vote?

>> [http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase

>>  Actually, I'm a (recent) committer on the Mahout project. As such, I do not
>> have much familiarity with the mechanics of being a champion but I'm willing
>> to learn.
>>

> OK but I think you're mis-understanding - committer is not the same as
> member of the ASF:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion
>
> Niall
>

>>  Jeff
>>  jeastman at apache dot org

Yes, we were both confused by that distinction. My apologies.
Jeff

Re: Hama proposal, was: [VOTE] Accept Hama into the Incubator

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.

--
B. Regards,
Edward J. Yoon,

Re: Hama proposal, was: [VOTE] Accept Hama into the Incubator

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@udanax.org>.
> Also, a mentor needs to be an Incubator PMC member.  Not sure
> any of your proposed mentors are.  If they're Apache members,
> they can just ask to become IPMC members.

Oh... Thank you for your advice.
Then, Should we ask to become IPMC members before mentoring and delay the vote?

Edward

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Edward J. Yoon wrote:
> [...]
> > == Core Developers ==
> >
> > The initial set of committers includes folks from the
> > [http://hadoop.apache.org Hadoop] & [http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase
> > Hbase] communities. We have varying degrees of experience with
> > Apache-style open source development, ranging from none to ASF
> > Members.
> >

> Hi Edward,
>
> can you elaborate on who of the initial committers are ASF
> members?  Maybe you meant committers?
>
> Also, a mentor needs to be an Incubator PMC member.  Not sure
> any of your proposed mentors are.  If they're Apache members,
> they can just ask to become IPMC members.
>
> HTH,
> Thilo

B. Regards,
Edward J. Yoon,