Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Haijun Cao <Ha...@kindsight.net> on 2008/05/20 01:11:08 UTC

confusing debug message thrown by Configuration class

Hi,

I noticed that the org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration constructor will
log a message like below if DEBUG is enabled:

2008-05-19 15:59:43,237 DEBUG [main] conf.Configuration
java.io.IOException: config()
        at
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.<init>(Configuration.java:156)

The code is:

  public Configuration() {
    if (LOG.isDebugEnabled()) {
      LOG.debug(StringUtils.stringifyException(new
IOException("config()")));
    }

I am just wondering if anybody know why such messages are logged, as a
user, it made me think there is a "real" exception, but in fact, there
isn't.

BTW, I am using hadoop.fs package in a non-mapreduce java program.

Thanks.
Haijun

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Haijun Cao wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I noticed that the org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration constructor will
> log a message like below if DEBUG is enabled:
>
> 2008-05-19 15:59:43,237 DEBUG [main] conf.Configuration
> java.io.IOException: config()
>         at
> org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.<init>(Configuration.java:156)
>
> The code is:
>
>   public Configuration() {
>     if (LOG.isDebugEnabled()) {
>       LOG.debug(StringUtils.stringifyException(new
> IOException("config()")));
>     }
>

> I am just wondering if anybody know why such messages are logged, as a
> user, it made me think there is a "real" exception, but in fact, there
> isn't.

I think they are there to let people see a stack trace of when a
Configuration gets created; turn debug on and your log shows not just
that things happen, but where they are.