Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Philipp <ke...@cyberraum.de> on 2003/01/23 17:19:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Linking apache with NGPT

Dear Apache Users,

i like to install Apache 1.3.27 with another Thread Library,
the "Next Generation Posix Threating" Library. The Problem
is that i dont want to completly swith to this library but only
link some programms with it. For Mysql i found the information
i need, but i cant find anything for Apache. I googled for it and
i search the FAQ and the Archive. I searched the archive for
keywords like "Thread Library" and just "Thread", but the result
didnt help me...

Finally: here are my questions:

1) How can i link apache with the module ?
is there any special ./configure command or do i have to change
the Makefile somewhere ?

2) Does anyone have any experience on running apache with
NGPT (is it stable, is it faster, do you recommend it ?)

Thank you very much, yours
Philipp

Re: [users@httpd] Linking apache with NGPT

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> 1) How can i link apache with the module ?
> is there any special ./configure command or do i have to change
> the Makefile somewhere ?
>
> 2) Does anyone have any experience on running apache with
> NGPT (is it stable, is it faster, do you recommend it ?)

1) try ./configure --help and see if it gives you a dir option for pthreads
2) the 1.x series does not make use of anything NGPT would help with, only
the mutex stuff.  AFAIK, NGPT makes massive numbers of threads and thread
creation and destroying faster.  I just grepped the 1.3.27 source and there
is not a single pthread_create call ANYWHERE.

Based on this, I would say just leave it alone.  You might see an increase
in speed for the 2.x series though.

-Jacob