Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bhaumik Joshi <bj...@asite.com> on 2016/04/11 15:48:07 UTC

Soft commit does not affecting query performance

Hi All,

We are doing query performance test with different soft commit intervals. In the test with 1sec of soft commit interval and 1min of soft commit interval we didn't notice any improvement in query timings.

We did test with SolrMeter (Standalone java tool for stress tests with Solr) for 1sec soft commit and 1min soft commit.

Index stats of test solr cloud: 0.7 million documents and 1 GB index size.

Solr cloud has 2 shard and each shard has one replica.

Please find below detailed test readings: (all timings are in milliseconds)

Soft commit - 1sec
Queries per sec                 Updates per sec               Total Queries                     Total Q time       Avg Q Time         Total Client time       Avg Client time
1                                              5                                              100                                         44340                    443                         48834                                    488
5                                              5                                              101                                         128914                  1276                       143239                                  1418
10                                           5                                              104                                         295325                  2839                       330931                                  3182
25                                           5                                              102                                         675319                  6620                       793874                                  7783

Soft commit - 1min
Queries per sec                 Updates per sec               Total Queries                     Total Q time       Avg Q Time         Total Client time       Avg Client time
1                                              5                                              100                                         44292                    442                         48569                                    485
5                                              5                                              105                                         131389                  1251                       147174                                  1401
10                                           5                                              102                                         299518                  2936                       337748                                  3311
25                                           5                                              108                                         742639                  6876                       865222                                  8011

As theory suggests soft commit affects query performance but in my case it doesn't. Can you put some light on this?
Also suggest if I am missing something here.

Regards,
Bhaumik Joshi

[Asite]

The Hyperloop Station Design Competition - A 48hr design collaboration, from mid-day, 23rd May 2016.
REGISTER HERE http://www.buildearthlive.com/hyperloop

[Build Earth Live Hyperloop]<http://www.buildearthlive.com/hyperloop>

[CC Award Winners 2015]

Re: Soft commit does not affecting query performance

Posted by Bhaumik Joshi <bh...@outlook.com>.
Hi Bill,

Please find below reference.

http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/5-4-x/topics/search_tuning_solr.html
*         "Enable soft commits and set the value to the largest value that meets your requirements. The default value of 1000 (1 second) is too aggressive for some environments."

Thanks & Regards,

Bhaumik Joshi

[http://www.buildearthlive.com/resources/images/BuildEarthLiveLogo-Hyperloop-2.png]<http://www.buildearthlive.com/hyperloop>

The Hyperloop Station Design Competition - Build Earth Live<http://www.buildearthlive.com/hyperloop>