Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org> on 2020/07/29 08:23:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Parquet 1.11.1 RC1

Hi everyone,

I propose the following RC to be released as the official Apache Parquet
1.11.1 release.

The commit id is 765bd5cd7fdef2af1cecd0755000694b992bfadd
* This corresponds to the tag: apache-parquet-1.11.1-rc1
*
https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/tree/765bd5cd7fdef2af1cecd0755000694b992bfadd

The release tarball, signature, and checksums are here:
* https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/parquet/apache-parquet-1.11.1-rc1

You can find the KEYS file here:
* https://downloads.apache.org/parquet/KEYS

Binary artifacts are staged in Nexus here:
* https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/parquet/

This release includes changes listed at
https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/blob/apache-parquet-1.11.1-rc1/CHANGES.md
.

Please download, verify, and test.

Please vote in the next 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this as Apache Parquet 1.11.1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 Do not release this because...

[RESULT] Release Apache Parquet 1.11.1 RC1

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot, Dan. I've created PARQUET-1897 to track this.

With three +1 binding votes and an additional +1 vote this release vote
passes.
Thank you all who have voted.

I'll finalize the release today.

Cheers,
Gabor

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet 1.11.1 RC1

Posted by "Daniel C. Weeks" <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.
I’ll change my vote to a +1.

If I run the tests using -pl :parquet-hadoop, they pass, as do the rest of
the tests. That makes it harder to debug, but gives me confidence. The
error appears to be with the Parquet build and not the code, so I think
this won’t affect downstream users. And Iceberg tests passing helps
validate that.

The error itself is this:

java.lang.Exception: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.parquet.format.LogicalType.getSetField()Lshaded/parquet/org/apache/thrift/TFieldIdEnum;
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LocalJobRunner$Job.runTasks(LocalJobRunner.java:462)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LocalJobRunner$Job.run(LocalJobRunner.java:522)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.parquet.format.LogicalType.getSetField()Lshaded/parquet/org/apache/thrift/TFieldIdEnum;
        at org.apache.parquet.format.converter.ParquetMetadataConverter.getLogicalTypeAnnotation(ParquetMetadataConverter.java:972)
        at org.apache.parquet.format.converter.ParquetMetadataConverter.buildChildren(ParquetMetadataConverter.java:1331)
        at org.apache.parquet.format.converter.ParquetMetadataConverter.fromParquetSchema(ParquetMetadataConverter.java:1286)
        at org.apache.parquet.format.converter.ParquetMetadataConverter.fromParquetMetadata(ParquetMetadataConverter.java:1204)
        at org.apache.parquet.format.converter.ParquetMetadataConverter.readParquetMetadata(ParquetMetadataConverter.java:1198)
        at org.apache.parquet.hadoop.ParquetFileReader.readFooter(ParquetFileReader.java:546)
        at org.apache.parquet.hadoop.ParquetFileReader.<init>(ParquetFileReader.java:712)
        at org.apache.parquet.hadoop.ParquetFileReader.open(ParquetFileReader.java:609)
        at org.apache.parquet.hadoop.ParquetRecordReader.initializeInternalReader(ParquetRecordReader.java:162)
        at org.apache.parquet.hadoop.ParquetRecordReader.initialize(ParquetRecordReader.java:140)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$NewTrackingRecordReader.initialize(MapTask.java:548)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runNewMapper(MapTask.java:786)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LocalJobRunner$Job$MapTaskRunnable.run(LocalJobRunner.java:243)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

LogicalType is a Parquet class, but the missing method is from thrift. I
think there must be a bad version of thrift in the test classpath
somewhere, but it doesn’t appear to be in the normal classpath.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Parquet 1.11.1 RC1

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Ryan,

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Ryan,