Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dev <de...@ix.netcom.com> on 2003/10/02 22:46:03 UTC

Implementing Silos in Struts

Hi,

I had a problem which some of you may have already solved. The layout of functional groups of JSP pages are usually grouped under Tabs for example Registration, Shop, Support are three functional groups of pages.

+---------------+  +-------+  +------------+
 | Registration |   | Shop  |   |  Support  |
+---------------+-+--------+-+------------+

Each of these areas may have sub-menu functionality. For Registration we may have

+---------------+
| Registration  |
+---------------+

    +---> Add Me
    |----> Change Profile
    +---> Find others like me

I figure each Tab could be mapped to a "module" in Struts 1.1. A click on a Tab which is mapped to the URL will can be implemented as a  "module switch".

1. Is this a correct usage of modules in Struts?
2. Can we map Roles to the tabs shown?
3. Is Struts-Menu an appropriate tool for this task?
4. From a development perspective can each developer maintain/code a tab separately and submit a module for integration?

Thanks,
Dev