Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2022/12/01 14:12:44 UTC

[Proposal] ASF Fediverse/ActivityPub instance

TL;DR: given a set of moderation guidelines and volunteers to
administer them, I'm willing to set up and host an ASF
Fediverse/ActivityPub instance on fly.io.

 - - -

Technical background:

While Mastodon is the most common and known implementation, there are
plenty of others at various stages of development.  Most with
instructions that can be followed in an afternoon to set up an
instance.  Costs to run an instance vary, but I am seeing many reports
that people are finding that they can host their own server on a free
tier at various cloud service providers.

I'm willing to volunteer for all of the above.  These days I work for
ly.io, and can host it for free.  I'm not asking for anything in
return - while I don't think it would be a good idea to make it a
secret where the instance is hosted, no official recognition is
required.

I'll work with the infrastructure team so that an
<something>.apache.org name will be the way to access it, and to
ensure that I am not the only one with access to the VM.

My default assumption is mastodon is the software to be used, but I
can be convinced to install another service instead.

Now let's examine the worst case scenario: this service is wildly
successful (a good problem to have) and I get hit by a bus, and the
ASF infra team doesn't want to touch this service.  My best guess is
that this would cost hundreds of US dollars per year and need
volunteers to run it.  the former could be routinely handled as a part
of the ASF budget process (presumably either M&P or Comdev), and I'm
optimistic that we can find plenty of volunteers here.

---

Moderation background:

I have no experience in this, but from postings I see people hosting
mastodon images moderation can be time consuming.  I am NOT signing up
for this part, hence I'm making a call for volunteers.  Apparently the
internet is full of trolls, and not moderating your instance can get
the entire instance banned by other instances.

For now, I chose to participate at https://ruby.social/@samruby ; you
can find more information about that instance here:
https://ruby.social/about .  We will need a code of conduct, a privacy
policy, server rules etc.  Note the list of moderated servers at the
end, it is likely that we will end up with our own list, and this list
will accrue over time based on posts that don't match our
expectations, and thus will require moderators.

---

I don't have a time schedule in mind, but if there are volunteers this
could all come together in a matter of days, and certainly could be up
and running this month, and probably early this month.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [Proposal] ASF Fediverse/ActivityPub instance

Posted by "sblackmon@apache.org" <sb...@apache.org>.
I will help with community management, software administration, however else I can assist I’m open to.

Steve Blackmon, PMC Chair Apache Streams

Posted by Matt Sicker <ma...@musigma.org>.

Posted by Lè Mañs <hu...@gmail.com>.
Ok

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi Joe,

I fully understood your point. Let me ask one question here. If we are concerned about how we would appear in public, because of one committer would say something using their Mastodon:

Aren't we saying "PR over community, community over code?"

Community is also because we have opposite opinions, or sometimes opinions which are different from the ASF. It needs to be like this, otherwise we don't have any development.

Bu t I mentioned, I get your point. Would you be less concerned with a domain like asf.social, since this is not an official domain? Assuming asf.social would be only for ASF community, but also allow "offical" accounts like press@asf.social?
Or is it the same problem in your opinion?

Kind regards,
Christian

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@apache.org>.

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
I like my jay@apache.org<ma...@apache.org> email to ! 😊

From: Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>
Date: Monday, December 5, 2022 at 7:25 PM
To: dev@community.apache.org <de...@community.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] ASF Fediverse/ActivityPub instance

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 7:33 AM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2022 at 4:50 AM Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > TL;DR: given a set of moderation guidelines and volunteers to
> > > administer them, I'm willing to set up and host an ASF
> > > Fediverse/ActivityPub instance on fly.io...
> >
> > Do you mean to open this to everybody who has an @apache.org account?
> >
> > Or just for a few official handles like announce@, TheASF@ ?
> >
> > If the latter, the moderation work might be much lower.
> >
> > Or maybe setting up *two* services makes sense, people.s.a.o and
> > foundation.s.a.o, with the latter being more critical but less costly
> > to operate from a moderation point of view.
>
> I don't want this to be me driving the social requirements.  I want
> comdev and/or M&P (and ideally both) coming to an agreement on what is
> best.
>
> I'm merely offering to make the technical and hosting parts happen.
>
> I'm OK with experiments (let's try this... no that didn't work, how
> about that).  Preferably ones with clear exit criteria (example:
> moderators don't show up and the instance gets shut down).

From an M&P perspective I'd strongly prefer official handles like

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 2, 2022, at 10:49, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>
>> TL;DR: given a set of moderation guidelines and volunteers to
>> administer them, I'm willing to set up and host an ASF
>> Fediverse/ActivityPub instance on fly.io...
>
> Do you mean to open this to everybody who has an @apache.org account?
>
> Or just for a few official handles like announce@, TheASF@ ?
>
> If the latter, the moderation work might be much lower.

I was thinking the same. If the latter, I can also try to help with moderation. Never did that before, but I can give it a go.
Also, I can help with crafting privacy policy.

I just checked, there is the domain asf.social which costs 45€ a year. Could be nice to have that.

Kind regards,
Christian

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,