Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Anthony Muller <An...@hyperoffice.fr> on 2006/09/12 12:52:53 UTC

Big companies using Subversion ?

Hello,

I'm looking for reference of big companies using Subversion as Version
Control System.

I'd like to find something about their point of view using Subversion
and why this choice.

Best regards,
Anthony

Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.
Ted Dennison wrote:
> VSoft ( http://www.vsoft-tech.com.au/home.aspx ) a maker of commercial
> software build and release management tools, has been doing periodic
> surveys of what revision control systems their customers are using.
> The did it again last month, and posted the results (from over 400
Ack. Sorry. That's the main page. Try
http://www.vsoft-tech.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=77&EntryID=190

--
T.E.D.   Work     -  mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com
         Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)

Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.
Anthony Muller wrote:
> I'm looking for reference of big companies using Subversion as Version
> Control System.
>
> I'd like to find something about their point of view using Subversion
> and why this choice.

I just stumbled over an some information you might find useful. I saw it
when it came out, but had forgotten about it.

VSoft ( http://www.vsoft-tech.com.au/home.aspx ) a maker of commercial
software build and release management tools, has been doing periodic
surveys of what revision control systems their customers are using. The
did it again last month, and posted the results (from over 400

The thing I find most interesting is that Subversion (for their
customers) has nearly caught SourceSafe, and will pass it next year if
their respective rates of change stay the same. Subversion was the #2
response, and grew by more than a third in the last 1.25 years. To be
fair, one should also note that use of Microsoft's new Team System  has
almost doubled, which put in 3rd. Note that VSoft's product is
Windows-only, so if anything the results should be skewed *away* from
Subversion a smidge.

Of course the survey doesn't give you any idea of the relative size of
the customers who gave each answer. However, they do mention who some of
these customers are at http://www.vsoft-tech.com.au/customers.aspx . I
see some mighty big names in there. (eg: GE)

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
On Sep 12, 2006, at 5:52 AM, Anthony Muller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for reference of big companies using Subversion as Version
> Control System.
>
> I'd like to find something about their point of view using Subversion
> and why this choice.

The well known organizations that I have trained or consulted at that
are using Subversion include:

The World Bank
NOAA - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
DHL Global Mail - division of DHL
Sony Imageworks - special effects house

Those should be big enough names :)

Subversion has definitely reached the point where it's not a risky
decision to take for an individual in a corporation to recommend
moving to Subversion.  Some of these

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Eric Lemes <er...@gmail.com>.
Well,

I work for a financial business company (in Brazil) and we're migrating our
codebase to SVN. Our release management policies will be above svn
repositories and automated build (this is my job now).

We have ~25 developers working today with SVN, over WINDOWS, and have ANY
problem until now. No crashes, sources lost, confusion, backup problems.
ANYTHING.

I think all of the "big companies" in Brazil uses SourceSafe. Think
seriously about it.

Maybe some commercial tools is better than SVN. But I preffer spend my
company's money with more hardware and qualified training than software
licensing.

Eric

Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Shane Turner <tu...@infointeractive.com>.
Anthony Muller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for reference of big companies using Subversion as Version
> Control System.
>
> I'd like to find something about their point of view using Subversion
> and why this choice.
>
> Best regards,
> Anthony

I know for a fact that AOL uses both Subversion and CVS.

Shane

--
Shane Turner <sh...@aolhalifax.com>
Associate Technical Manager, Infrastructure Team

Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@quipsy.de>.
The question is what a big company is.
We are using SVN for one and a half year without any problems.
We are supplying more than ten thousand workplaces with our software,
while our development team and code base is rather small.

HTH
Markus

Posted by Shaun Johnson <sh...@gmail.com>.
Anthony,

We started using Subversion at our government agency recently. We have 5
different agencies in differnet locations sharing code through repositories
in a common SVN server and so far it's scaling well. We'd never be able to
use Source Safe across a WAN reliably. It just doesn't do well. It also
doesn't scale well if you have many items and many revisions in a single
database. CVS just has too many flaws for my taste.

Shaun

Posted by Toby Thain <to...@smartgames.ca>.
On 10-Jul-07, at 2:43 PM, <Jo...@shell.com>
<Jo...@shell.com> wrote:

> Nathan,
>
> We have experienced a corruption issue, but never really found out
> if it was with SVN or the OS.

Or hardware...

--T

Posted by Jo...@shell.com.

Posted by Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by Will Appleton <wf...@gmail.com>.
On 7/10/07, Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will,
>
> do you have any devs running OS' other than windows??  i run gentoo<http://www.gentoo.org/>and eclipse for development and have found the subclipse
> plugin <http://subclipse.tigris.org/> to work quite well.  the combo is
> free and cross-platform.
>
> -nathan

We're on UNIX and Windows.   We're possibly upgrading our Progress setup to
V. 10.1B, which uses Eclipse as one of the IDE options.  We'll likely try
out the subclipse plugin when/if we upgrade.  I haven't used it, but I've
heard lots of good things about it.

-=W=-

Re: Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com>.
Will,

Posted by Will Appleton <wf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Nobbe <qu...@gmail.com>.
Srinivas,

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.
Srinivas2007 wrote:
> At our company (a large financial institution) we narrowed the choice down to
> three commercial vendors and SVN. After evaluating and piloting for over
> three months we selected Accurev over SVN and Microsoft VS TFS. We still
> have divisions using mainly ClearCase and some with SVN, but are slowly
> migrating the projects that make sense (where it is necessary to manage many
> releases in parallel or offshore and distributed teams for example) over to
> Accurev as they get a window of opportunity. SVN can be a good enough
> solution for some smaller projects, but it can get hairy when you have to
> support multiple product versions in the field and find bugs down the road.
> You also just don't get the same visibility over the process that Accurev
> provides which benefits both management and developers alike. For us, it
> just didn't make sense to allow SVN to spread and we believe the value we
> get from commercial is well worth the cost.

Hi Srinivas,

Can you detail the actual technical issues that prompt you to use
general statements like "it can get hairy" and "don't get the same
visiblity".  We are a large software company using Subversion and do
support multiple versions in the field, quite happily.

Without details your post starts to sound like a troll for Accurev since
it comes spontaneously, nearly a year after the original post, and has
content similar to an Accurev press release which you reposted here:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.software.config-mgmt/browse_thread/thread/5942b288e129515/545c5effae8e56a9?lnk=gst&q=srinivaspatel&rnum=2#545c5effae8e56a9

(Note, I've nothing against Accurev, it may well be a fine product --
I've not used it. The way your post comes just makes me wish for more
details and less generalities.)

Cheers,

-Nathan

Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Srinivas2007 <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/06, Anthony Muller <An...@hyperoffice.fr> wrote:

> I'm looking for reference of big companies using Subversion as Version
> Control System.
>
> I'd like to find something about their point of view using Subversion
> and why this choice.

Must it be companies, or will large-scale open source projects meet
your needs?  There quite a few of those around (Apache & KDE to name
two).

Unfortunately, many "large" companies prefer to give vendors large
sums of money for software, even if something free like Subversion
supports their requirements.  Too many are still stuck in the mindset
of "if we paid a lot of money for it, it must be better than something
that cost us $0."  Also, in many large companies there are multiple
groups doing development, and each might be using a different tool.

I know there are a couple people with General Electric email addresses
on this and the TortoiseSVN mailing lists, and their info indicates
they're with GE Infrastructure; I have no idea how large that division
is.

My employer is fairly small, but we're large-ish for the industry we're in.

Re: Big companies using Subversion ?

Posted by Mike Brenner <mi...@mitre.org>.
I use subversion to control millions of lines of
code, but I would not say I am the company because
some still use cvs and some use commercial products.

I think the question only makes sense
project by project, not company by company.

Posted by Sean Kelley <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9/12/06, Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com> wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> > On 9/12/2006 11:17 AM, Christopher Taylor wrote:
> >> closed-source does a  better job.  I've noticed that quite a few (but
> >> deff not even most) open source projects are reluctant to react to
> >> user feedback.  A lot of times there is an attitude of 'well that's
> >> just not what i want my software to do' approach by the lead
> >> developers.
> >
> > I think that this is correct, but it's not a problem with the project
> > or the developers, it's a problem with the user.  You're not paying
> > the developers anything, so why on earth would you expect that they
> > should work for you?
> >
> > I think the vast majority of open source projects (certainly including
> > svn) do pay attention to user feedback, because often users make good
> > suggestions.  But the only reason to work on something is because you
> > think it would be a good addition.
> I'd say its not a problem with the projects, developers, or users. The
> issue is power. With a typical commercial support contract, the money
> the client pays in every month gives them some power over the
> developers. The client can coerce the developers by threatening to shut
> off the flow of money, actively refusing to pay until something is done,
> or even switching to a competing product altogether. Management
> understands these kinds of financial levers, and has become adept at
> using them.
>
> If you tell management that you will be using a product where there are
> no fees to be paid to anyone, you are basically telling them that they
> will have *no* power, as they have come to understand it. This is going
> to be scary to them.
>
> What might help is explaining what the levers of power in an open source
> product are (premiere among them being contributing work), and
> discussing what resources your organization might be willing to commit
> to the product to acquire that power, if it is desired.

I choose a vendor based on the features and the capabilities of a
product.  Companies compete with both free and commercial products.
It has nothing to do with what kind of "pressure" one can apply.

I have a goal, it is to bring a product to market.  The tools I use
may be free or commercial.  I way the plus and minuses.  I think you
put to much weight on what little influence one may have on the
features of a commercial product.

We are talking competition here.  Commercial companies have bills to
pay, they know that if their competitors be they free or commercial
offer features they don't have, their revenue will decline.

Yes, there is power.  The power is in consumer choice, the freedom to
pick the best tool for the job.

Sean

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 9/12/2006 11:17 AM, Christopher Taylor wrote:

>> User permissions / authorization for specific folders in Subversion is
>> cumbersome and tedious.  Quite frankly, I wish there were better tools
>> for managing accounts and permissions.  I am using a combination of an
>> LDAP group and an accessfile to control who has access and what level
>> of access on a per project basis.  It is not easy.
>

> I think this is a symptom of a problem for a number of open source
> projects and something where, as much as I hate to say it, commercial
> closed-source does a  better job.  I've noticed that quite a few (but
> deff not even most) open source projects are reluctant to react to
> user feedback.  A lot of times there is an attitude of 'well that's
> just not what i want my software to do' approach by the lead
> developers.

I think that this is correct, but it's not a problem with the project or
the developers, it's a problem with the user.  You're not paying the
developers anything, so why on earth would you expect that they should
work for you?

I think the vast majority of open source projects (certainly including
svn) do pay attention to user feedback, because often users make good
suggestions.  But the only reason to work on something is because you
think it would be a good addition.

I think it then starts to become an ego issue.  If enough
> of the userbase wants a feature, it should probably be included ...

The fact that a lot of people ask for something is not a good reason to
spend time on it if you consider it to be a bad idea, or a good idea but
not worth the effort.  In the latter case, the user can make it happen
by contributing to the effort:  hire someone to do the work.

> especially if it can be accomplished in such a manner that it doesn't
> impact users who don't want the new feature.

If you are asking a developer to do it, then it's certainly going to
impact on that developer's time, and the time of anyone maintaining the
code later.  So the *only* features that meet your criteria are the ones
that the developers want.  And that's more or less how it works.

Duncan Murdoch

Posted by Christopher Taylor <ch...@gmail.com>.

> User permissions / authorization for specific folders in Subversion is
> cumbersome and tedious.  Quite frankly, I wish there were better tools
> for managing accounts and permissions.  I am using a combination of an
> LDAP group and an accessfile to control who has access and what level
> of access on a per project basis.  It is not easy.

I think this is a symptom of a problem for a number of open source
projects and something where, as much as I hate to say it, commercial
closed-source does a  better job.  I've noticed that quite a few (but
deff not even most) open source projects are reluctant to react to
user feedback.  A lot of times there is an attitude of 'well that's
just not what i want my software to do' approach by the lead
developers.  I think it then starts to become an ego issue.  If enough

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.
"Shaun Johnson" <sh...@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm in a similar situation and things are getting more tedious the
> more we use SVN. We lock down everything in our repositories and give
> write access only at the project level. Needless to say our authz file
> is very cumbersome to maintain by hand. There have also been a couple
> problems due to typos. I didn't find any decent tools other than
> scripts for editing authz files either. So, I wrote one.
>
> It's called Suafe. It's basically a GUI editor for authz files,
> written in Java and Swing. You can download a copy from
> http://suafe.xiaoniu.org/. It's still a work in progress, although I
> use it myself to maintain our authz file.  Hopefully, it'll come in
> handy for somebody other than myself.

When you feel it's ready, can you post a patch to
dev@subversion.tigris.org adding Suafe to the Subversion
www/links.html page?

Thanks,
-Karl