Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Trollchik <an...@mail.ru> on 2010/07/27 15:05:01 UTC

POI Xls file parsing error

Hi, guys!
I'm using POI for reading Microsoft Office files without any problems before
this time. I have a file with extension of xls, and i use HSSFWorkbook for
reading. But i get next error:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The supplied POIFSFileSystem does not
contain a BIFF8 'Workbook' entry. Is it really an excel file?
	at
org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFWorkbook.getWorkbookDirEntryName(HSSFWorkbook.java:236)

if i try to perform: 		POIFSLister.viewFile("C://SHARE/SAGE.xls", true);
i get:

Root Entry -
  Document Summary Info [0 / 0x0]
  Excel1 -
    (no children)
  WorkBook [9628 / 0x259c]

Please help me, how can i resolve this problem? The Microsoft Excel open
this file without any problems!

Re: POI Xls file parsing error

Posted by Will Casey <wc...@comaccapital.com>.

Nick Burch <nick.burch <at> alfresco.com> writes:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Trollchik wrote:
> > Root Entry -
> >  Document Summary Info [0 / 0x0]
> >  Excel1 -
> >    (no children)
> >  WorkBook [9628 / 0x259c]
>
> I've never seen a file with the workbook entry in that case combination!
> Where did the file come from?
>
> Also, could you please upload a sample one of these files to a new
> bugzilla entry, so we can use that to write a fix + unit test?
>
> Nick

Hey Nick, I have the exact same issue as trollchik,
did you ever reach a workaround?

I receive an email with an xls attachment that I cant
parse when it comes
straight from the sender (also a bank) system. If I
save the attachment to mylocal drive and then parse it,
everything works as expected.

When the sender sends the email it includes in the body
that the file format is Format:Excel8

I can send you an old email if you want to take a look ,
I'm at the end of my tether on this one.

Cheers
Will

Re: POI Xls file parsing error

Posted by Trollchik <an...@mail.ru>.

Nick Burch-11 wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Trollchik wrote:
>> Root Entry -
>>  Document Summary Info [0 / 0x0]
>>  Excel1 -
>>    (no children)
>>  WorkBook [9628 / 0x259c]
>
> I've never seen a file with the workbook entry in that case combination!
> Where did the file come from?
>
> Also, could you please upload a sample one of these files to a new
> bugzilla entry, so we can use that to write a fix + unit test?
>
> Nick

Really this file generate one bank, and how they do it i don't know =)
Really the file holds confidential information. I will ask if it possible to
make some example for u. Becuase if i chenge the file it become readable.!
Such strange thing!

Re: POI Xls file parsing error

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.