Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Tomsic <pt...@yahoo.com> on 2004/03/04 06:07:55 UTC

dirty data and session management....

This may be more of a design question, but I'm
wondering if tomcat has anything in it's API that we
might be able to leverage to help manage dirty data in
a user's session?
When our user's login, we load, into their session a
w3c dom document that contains user-information, etc.
We use xsl transforms for display, so we overload that
session-based w3c dom w/ information necessary to show
the page to the user (any name value pair that could
have been read from the dB, say "roles")
So, User-1 is editing the roles.  We read from the db,
the id/name for each role, tack it into the session
XML and transform it on the XSL to display to the
user.
User-2 does the same thing.  User-1 edits some of the
role names and submits.
User-2 does the same thing, thus making User-1's role
information dirty.
Is there a way (using some API or tomcat) to enforce
that User-2's submit cannot take place w/o them
re-reading those roles b/c User-1 already committed?

Additional side question, also related:
How do you prevent this behaviour using objects in
memory in servlets w/o using synchronized objects?
(possible in tomcat using something in the tomcat
framework?)

Thanks in advance.