Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tosh Cooey <to...@1200group.com> on 2010/01/26 23:27:45 UTC

302 Redirect not working as expected with PerlCleanupHandler and Firefox under ModPerl::Registry

So this works almost perfectly... Almost because:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use Apache2::Const();        # defines OK
use Apache2::Log();        # defines warn
use Apache2::RequestUtil();    # defines push_handlers

my $r = shift;
$r->push_handlers(PerlCleanupHandler => \&cleanup );

$r->headers_out->set(Location => 'http://...index.pl');
$r->status(Apache2::Const::REDIRECT);
return Apache2::Const::REDIRECT;

sub cleanup {
   my ($r) = @_;
   $r->warn("Starting cleanup");
   foreach my $num (1..5) {
	  $r->warn("Number is $num");
	  sleep 2;
   }
   return Apache2::Const::OK;
}
######## test.pl

It seems if you take the above program and hit it with Firefox (3.5.7
and 3.6) it may take 10 seconds (5 x sleep 2) before Firefox does the
redirect.  Safari 4.0.4 seems fine.  curl works as well :)

I said "may" above because it's not consistent.  If you launch Firefox
fresh and hit the above program it may redirect instantly, but then
subsequent hits will illustrate the delay.  I'm also seeing varying
behaviour on a different server that has no Basic Auth, but always the
problem is there.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Thank-you!

Tosh

Re: 302 Redirect not working as expected with PerlCleanupHandler and Firefox under ModPerl::Registry

Posted by Tosh Cooey <to...@1200group.com>.
Would this problem be any different in a normal CGI context with the
program doing forks?  I don't imagine it would be, which is why I see
the ultimate wisdom in spawning an external program to handle
long-running tasks, or just cron something.

Oh well, live and learn.

Tosh

Posted by William T <di...@gmail.com>.
Caveat Lector:

[...]

Posted by ma...@animalhead.com.
Just wanted to note that since you've put the CONN_CLOSE in the
redirect code, it's not necessary (nor desirable) to put
> "KeepAlive Off" in apache2.conf

With the CONN_CLOSE call you turn KA off just when you need it to be
off.

So what's the bad news?

cmac

Posted by Tosh Cooey <to...@1200group.com>.