Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2013/10/09 15:27:51 UTC

qpid startup: error Failed to initialise SSL plugin: Failed to load certificate 'Server-Cert'

Hi all,

I am trying to configure an SSL enabled version of the qpid-cpp broker, and I am struggling to get it to work. The broker starts and runs as follows:

qpidd    17764  0.3  2.3 239728 11692 ?        Ssl  13:15   0:00 /usr/sbin/qpidd --data-dir /var/lib/qpidd --daemon --ssl-cert-db sql:/etc/pki/nssdb --ssl-cert-name Server-Cert --ssl-port 5672 --ssl-require-client-authentication --ssl-sasl-no-dict

The logfile complains as follows:

Oct  9 13:15:29 localhost qpidd[17764]: 2013-10-09 13:15:29 error Failed to initialise SSL plugin: Failed to load certificate 'Server-Cert' (qpid/sys/ssl/SslSocket.cpp:184)
Oct  9 13:15:29 localhost qpidd[17764]: 2013-10-09 13:15:29 notice Broker running

Unfortunately the error "Failed to load certificate 'Server-Cert'" is incomplete as it refuses to reveal why it failed to load the server-cert, leaving me stuck.

The NSS database at sql:/etc/pki/nssdb contains the server certificate, the CA certificate, and the full intermediate chain, and the CA cert is trusted:

-bash-4.1$ certutil -L -d sql:/etc/pki/nssdb

Certificate Nickname                                         Trust Attributes
                                                             SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI

"Server-Cert"                                                u,u,u
[snip]   ,,
[snip]        ,,
CA-Cert                                                      CT,,

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Graham

Re: qpid startup: error Failed to initialise SSL plugin: Failed to load certificate 'Server-Cert'

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 10/09/2013 02:42 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 09 Oct 2013, at 3:27 PM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:
>
>> Oct  9 13:15:29 localhost qpidd[17764]: 2013-10-09 13:15:29 error Failed to initialise SSL plugin: Failed to load certificate 'Server-Cert' (qpid/sys/ssl/SslSocket.cpp:184)
>
>> "Server-Cert"                                                u,u,u
>
> The cause of the problem was found - the nickname in the NSS certificate database had quotes around it.
>
> Is it possible to improve the error message to explicitly say the certificate was not found?

I'm not sure... The NSS function 'PK11_FindCertFromNickname' is called,
which returns the certificate if successful or NULL if 'unsuccessful'.
My assumption was there might be other reasons for not being able to
retrieve it, hence the more ambiguous error message. I'm not sure if
there is some other way of getting more details on why it was
'unsuccessful'.

Re: qpid startup: error Failed to initialise SSL plugin: Failed to load certificate 'Server-Cert'

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.