Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Erik Bunn <eb...@memecry.net> on 2010/07/30 18:19:12 UTC

Re: UTF-8 encoding in Tomcat 6.0

Hi -

This may be irrelevant to the original asker by now, and I'm working
with Tomcat 7, but in case it's of use:

Christopher Schultz, Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:43:57 -0700 wrote:
> The filter cannot influence the way that GET parameters are decoded. The
> only way to change that is to set URIEncoding="UTF-8" on your <Connector> in
> server.xml.

This is, at least in some special cases, incorrect: based on quite a bit
of Tomcat 7.0b embedding effort recently, I tracked this same issue all
the way through, and Tomcat defaults to ISO-8859-1 if the request does
not specify content-type explicitly, despite whatever Connector settings.
See e.g. CoyoteAdapter.parsePathParameters() for an example.

(A request without content-type happens e.g. in Firefox 3.6 with a
dynamically created script DOM element to an external URL; I'm sure
there are other occasions as well.)

The only way I found around it was to have my own Connector
implementation provide my own Request wrapper, and override
getCharacterEncoding() there based on the URIEncoding setting.
(Not very user-friendly; I imagine it's doable with the standard
configuration scheme, but I can't help with that - sorry. Feel
free to email if you need pointers, anyway.)

Cheers,
//e

Re: UTF-8 encoding in Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: UTF-8 encoding in Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 31/07/2010 17:34, arun kumar wrote:

> I ran my example webapp on a standalone tomcat and the behavior was the same:
> When the param is being sent using GET, I need to send the param as %25xx for it to be read correctly
> When the method is PUT, %xx works fine.

Then something in your setup is badly broken, evidenced by the fact you
have to encode the % as %25 to get things to work.

> I believe this is a known issue with Tomcat: I remember reading this on many forums. I believe this is the same behavior that Erik reports.

This is absolutely *not* a Tomcat problem. Tomcat does not behave the
way you describe. A clean Tomcat install with no other components
(reverse proxy etc) using the test encoding JSP from the wiki [1] works
correctly with POST and GET (if URIEncoding="UTF-8" is used).

> Sorry Mark - i did not get what you said. Could you please elaborate?

Decoding is happening twice. i.e.:
%25xx -> %xx
%xx -> whatever character

Tomcat absolutely, 100% does not do this. Either your test application
is doing it or there is another component - such as a reverse proxy - in
the mix that is doing a second decoding.

This represents a significant security risks. Issues caused by double
decoding in the past include:
- XSS
- source code disclosure
- authentication bypass
- directory traversal

It does not mean that these issues will be present, but double decoding
has been the cause of all of these - and probably more - at various
points in the past. The details will depend on system configuration but
seeing an issue like this is certainly indicative that there may well be
a problem.

Mark

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/CharacterEncoding#Q4

Posted by arun kumar <ar...@yahoo.com>.