Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2003/03/01 17:47:40 UTC

Location of incubated downloads?

<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news.html#20030227.1>

27 February 2003 - Tapestry 2.3 Released

The first full release of Tapestry hosted at Jakarta is here . Tapestry 2.3 is
a modest improvement on 2.2, fixing several bugs and adding a few new
capabilities and components.  Work is well underway on the much more ambitious
2.4.

where the 'here' link is:

<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4754>

-/-

Can someone from the incubator (whoever is responsible) please relay to the
Tapestry folks (don't know who they are) that releases should only be
occurring using the ASF server infrastructure.  Perhaps this needs to be made
clearer to new projects.  -- justin

RE: Location of incubated downloads?

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Woops ... that didn't go to the right list.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 11:32 PM, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:

> Please keep me posted on this documentation.

i've committed a beta version. (feedback welcomed.)

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/index.html

my offer to set up the mirrors and create a signed. mirrored version of
your latest release still stands (let me know if you want me to act upon
it). having said that, i'm a little concerned when i hear LGPL'd jar
mentioned since AFAIK apache java software should not import them.

- robert

> Tapestry is not (yet) under Maven and I haven't had time to research how
> integrate the two.  Building Tapestry is a manual process:
> 1) Get latest snapshot from CVS
> 2) Copy external distributions (several LGPL libraries needed at compile
> time) into place.
> 3) Copy build.properties into place (identifies locations of other LPGL
> frameworks, including Jetty and JBoss).
> 4) Build using Ant
>
> In reality, I do perform a build using exactly one command; I have a
> meta-Ant build script that performs the four steps above.
>
> I suspect that getting Tapestry working with Maven would not be difficult;
> assuming Maven (or is it Gump) can download (and potentially unpack) the
> necessary libraries and distributions and then use Ant to build Tapestry.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
> Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
> http://jakarta.apache.org/proposals/tapestry

RE: Building Tapestry from CVS

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
So how about I treat the framework jar as the 'main' deliverable for
Tapestry.

Do the unit tests in junit/ only refer to framework/ code?

I'm thinking that 'Tapestry' is actually a few different deliverables:
- framework jar with unit tests (incl coverage) and docs,
- Lots of examples/demos each a separate build, and
- Lots of contrib'ed code each a separate build.

Where the examples/demos/contrib code rely on framework jar. Is this
roughly right?

In Maven each of the separately buildable bits (example/demo, contrib etc)
is a 'project' with a descriptor.

Maven has some basic support for docbook (which would be good to make work
properly).

Did anyone check out the default site built from the project.xml?

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.

"Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com> wrote on 11/03/2003 11:51:32 AM:

> Much of this detail is in the Contributor's Guide, I'm working to update
it
> fully refect the latest stuff.
>
> You need to build.properties file in the config directory, specifying
where
> JBoss 3.0.4 (jboss.dir), Jetty 4.x (jetty.dir) and Clover (clover.dir)
have
> been installed.

What does Tapestry need JBoss, Jetty and Clover for?

The framework directory builds a jar nicely without them.

> You need the following in the Tapestry/ext-dist directory:
>
> docbkx412.zip
> docbook-xsl-1.59.2.zip
For building documentation?

> jcommon-0.6.5.jar
Charts for a demo app?

> jdom-b8.jar
Not sure.

> jfreechart-0.9.2.jar
Charts for a demo app?

Building Tapestry from CVS

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Hm?  Tapestry creates a -bin and a -src distribution.

Each contains hundreds of files.

Everything is built from the top-level build.xml.  "ant dist" chugs along
for about eight minutes and produces Tapestry-xxx-bin.tar.gz and
Tapestry-xxx-src.tar.gz.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
http://jakarta.apache.org/proposals/tapestry

> Maven can do the above. But there are probably easier ways of
> doing it.
>
> How many 'deliverables' are there from the ant build? Is it just one
> tapestry jar file, or are there other things produced as part of the
> build.
>
> I'll check tapestry out of cvs and see what I can do to help.
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

RE: Location of incubated downloads?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
This belongs more on tapestry-dev, so I've copied it there.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Please keep me posted on this documentation.

Tapestry is not (yet) under Maven and I haven't had time to research how to

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
hi howard

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.