Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by jochenw <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2014/11/14 07:01:25 UTC

Re: Run Karaf as Linux service

Hi,

in Karaf 3.0.x, install the service-wrapper feature with:

feature:install wrapper

(earlier, the command was features:install ...). Then activate the wrapper
with:

wrapper:install -s AUTO_START –n <service name> -d <display name of service>
-D <description of service>
ln -s <Karaf home directory>/bin/KARAF-service /etc/init.d/

update-rc.d KARAF-service defaults; # for Debian etc.
or
chkconfig KARAF-service --add; # for RHEL etc.

You may want to tweak <Karaf home directory>/bin/KARAF-service with the
usual service script infos (###BEGIN INIT INFO and the like), and <Karaf
home directory>/etc/KARAF-wrapper.conf with JVM settings.

For more details, see
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/users-guide/wrapper.html
<http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest/users-guide/wrapper.html>

Please note that there might be a limitation of the wrapper when using it
with more than 4 GB heap size, at least I have seen a note for ActiveMQ
which to my knowledge uses the same wrapper. Furthermore, the current
version of the wrapper will not work in armhf environment. For this, you
need to get an update of the wrapper from Tanuki SW - but care for the
changed licensing conditions! Possibly, we will get another solution in an
upcoming Karaf version as indicated here:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-2734>

Best Regards,
Jochen

Re: Run Karaf as Linux service

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
The community edition of the wrapper that we ship is limited to 4GB. I
believe the 3.5.25 community edition of the wrapper will allow you to
go above that amount. We can not ship that version of the wrapper due
to licensing constraints.

Cheers,
Jamie