Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Pasha Gmail <pa...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/15 09:25:30 UTC

Recommended program version for old and slow computers, netbooks, based on winXP

Dear Sir/Madam !

Please advise, which Open Office version I need to download from OO site to
get best performance for Old computers and Netbooks with slow disks and
based on Windows XP OS.

I had very unpleasant experience when Just start of any program from
the ОО package
took 1-3 minutes at my Samsung Netbook. Next start was normal, just
seconds, but first – it was something! I used the program couple years ago.
Maybe some optimization was done since then? Which version would you
recommend for XP ?

Thank you for your Time !

With kind regards,
Pavel

Re: Recommended program version for old and slow computers, netbooks, based on winXP

Posted by bugfinderx <bu...@yahoo.de>.
hello Jim McLaughlin

to boots your Win Xp on the netbook, you should deactivate
windows-services which run all the time but are not necessary for your
work. its also recommended to remove "uninportend" things from windows
autostart.

search for cmd.exe on your system and run command "msconfig" to see
which programs run in autostart.

K.H.

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
*IN LINE*

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Alan, thank you for the tip.
>
> I use 4.1.1 on an old Dell Latitude D600, running XP.  I have 2 gigs of
> memory installed (board maximum). The CPU is a now ancient Pentium, 1600
> Mhz.
>
> It takes a  LONG time to boot up.

Hello again Jim... just wanted to get back to you on this. My experience
has been that on any given system the Linux distribution that I've tried
has always been faster than Windows on the same system. If you want better
performance without new hardware I suggest trying Linux.

You can test if it gives better performance without making a commitment to
a permanent switch. There are at least two ways to do this:
1. if your pc will boot from USB create a bootable USB and try it that way
2. dual boot (choose whether to boot Windows or Linux each time the pc
starts)

Option 1 is the least disruptive as it makes no changes to the hard drive
and provides fairly good performance
Option 2 is more flexible and has the best performance. Best performance
because works at hard drive speed. More flexible because is easy to
customize add/remove programs from the Linux install.

If you'd like more information feel free to contact me off list. I'd be
glad to share more of my Linux experiences. For me it was a gradual
transition. Used only Windows for a long time. Then mostly Windows and a
little Linux. Then the reverse. And now mostly Linux with occasional
Windows.

You can try it without making an irreversible decision.

-Alan

Re: Recommended program version for old and slow computers, netbooks, based on winXP

Posted by Jim McLaughlin <jj...@gmail.com>.
Alan, thank you for the tip.

I use 4.1.1 on an old Dell Latitude D600, running XP.  I have 2 gigs of
memory installed (board maximum). The CPU is a now ancient Pentium, 1600
Mhz.

It takes a  LONG time to boot up.

In OO 4.1.1, when I access Tools>Options>Memory and look at the
QuickStarter dialog in the right hand panel, it provides a box to check or
not check which has a legend next to it regarding loading OO at system
start up.

Given the slow system start up I have any way, I'm not so sure this is
really a "Quick Start" for me.

Is there something else I am missing which would give a quicker start up
for OO?

I can see the argument that starting OO once only at the start of a
session on the old laptop may be somewhat time saving when compared to
starting and closing OO several times during a  session, but I don't see a
really faster initialization of OO.  All I  see is a  shift of when the
slow OO loading takes place.

Thoughts, comments, additional tips on the slow OO initialization issue
Alan, anyone?

Thank you.

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.