Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/09 00:16:23 UTC

Clerezza status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "August2012" by BertrandDelacretaz)

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> +   As in our last report in May, we believe Clerezza should graduate soon, but
> +   unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. Activity is currently fairly low,
> +   and it looks like Clerezza might remain a small/low activity project, but
> +   the PPMC is functional, has done releases and invited additional committers
> +   so there's no need to stay in the Incubator any longer once a plan to attempt
> +   to grow the community is in place.

Do you have an idea what happened around a year ago when dev@ activity
dropped from the hundreds it was for a long time to the dozens where
it's mostly stayed since then? Alarmingly the low mark seems to have
been last month when only a single non-automated post was sent to
dev@.

I recall Clerezza having release trouble due to complex/unreleased
dependencies for a long time. Could that have contributed to the loss
of momentum? I think it would be useful to somehow capture experience
like this, perhaps ultimately for use by ComDev in something like a
"How to maintain community momentum?" guide.

Anyway, it sounds like the community has a reasonably good idea on how
to proceed, so I'm not too worried yet even though Clerezza is already
getting pretty close to its three-year mark at the Incubator. Though
I'd really love to see Clerezza showing notable improvement or even
graduating before that milestone is reached.

If the efforts to grow or reactivate the community fail, would it be a
good idea to seek to join forces with some related projects like
Stanbol, Any23 or UIMA? Or do you feel that there are still enough
active people to allow the project to function as a standalone TLP
(able to reach 3 PMC votes for releases, etc.)?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Clerezza status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "August2012" by BertrandDelacretaz)

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <me...@farewellutopia.com>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Tommaso Teofili
<to...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Do you have an idea what happened around a year ago when dev@ activity
> > dropped from the hundreds it was for a long time to the dozens where
> > it's mostly stayed since then? Alarmingly the low mark seems to have
> > been last month when only a single non-automated post was sent to
> > dev@.
> >

> As far as I can understand that mostly depends on some of the most active
> salaried developers got a new job thus they weren't able to keep up the
> same "contribution rate" to the project.

Personally it was also relaxing a bit after the quite exhausting release
process as well as focusing on the ecosystem around clerezza which now
benefits from having a stable version.

> Also, if I remember correctly, some discussions about the Clerezza security
> module were quite "hot" and that may have played a role in this, but
> actually I don't think that's the main reason.

This made the released process a bit harder. And it has become quite around
the Webid support, I think the clerezza module has no longer been updated
with the WebID spec.

> > I recall Clerezza having release trouble due to complex/unreleased
> > dependencies for a long time. Could that have contributed to the loss
> > of momentum? I think it would be useful to somehow capture experience
> > like this, perhaps ultimately for use by ComDev in something like a
> > "How to maintain community momentum?" guide.
> >

> While I think that guide would be very useful (even if it'd quite hard to
> grasp the very deep reasons / solutions) I think the unreleased
> dependencies problem was resolved in not so long time.

I really started to hate that that rat plugin.

> I think the main reason for the low activity lately is related to the
> previous point about salaried devs and to the fact that the most commonly
> used pieces of Clerezza (e.g. the RDF API in Apache Stanbol) look quite ok
> and stable requiring a minimal development effort.
> At the same time there are a number of improvements that the PPMC is aware
> of and that could be done.
> Another hurdle to newcomers is in my opinion the huge number of modules /
> pieces Clerezza is made of which may look scaring at first :-)

Different parts of clerezza can be used independently, some part could be
leaner by using existing solutions like apache wink. I would be good to
allow developer who care only about the rdf api parts to join and have a
cleaner separation between individual aspects and the platform as a whole.

 I've not a strong opinion at the moment, I think Clerezza could be a nice
> TLP but at the same time I wonder if merging efforts with Apache Stanbol
> could be a better idea.
> I see lots of discussions about the Clerezza API happening on
> stanbol-dev@(since it's massively using it), and the two PPMCs share a
> number of
> members, however there could be good points against that merge (first of
> all: different high level scopes).

On one hand even clerezza itself seems to broad a project, after all what
have an rdf api and a scala based osgi-console to do with each other. So if
the project would be merged I think this should result in a platform
project with many subproject that can be used independentently. I think the
two project more than different high level scopes have a bit different
architectural practices, Stanbol is more broadly integrating modules with
different technologies while Clerezza is more focused on uniformity around
a data-driven pattern using the RDF modules.

Reto

Therefore my very early opinion is that Clerezza should go for TLP but

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

<to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...my very early opinion is that Clerezza should go for TLP but
> after having cleaned its structure based on the most commonly used modules,
> tweak the website / docs in order to focus on providing users / devs with a
> smaller set of outstanding features....

I agree with that, I think the Clerezza PMC, although small, is able
to go TLP and execute the above plan.

Worst case, if the community doesn't develop or shrinks further, it's
always possible to merge the reusable parts into other projects later
and move the unused parts to attic.apache.org.

I don't think staying in incubation would help w.r.t. this plan, so
I'm in favor of Clerezza graduating soon.

-Bertrand

Re: Clerezza status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "August2012" by BertrandDelacretaz)

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jukka,

2012/8/9 Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
> > +   As in our last report in May, we believe Clerezza should graduate
> soon, but
> > +   unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. Activity is currently fairly
> low,
> > +   and it looks like Clerezza might remain a small/low activity
> project, but
> > +   the PPMC is functional, has done releases and invited additional
> committers
> > +   so there's no need to stay in the Incubator any longer once a plan
> to attempt
> > +   to grow the community is in place.
>
> Do you have an idea what happened around a year ago when dev@ activity
> dropped from the hundreds it was for a long time to the dozens where
> it's mostly stayed since then? Alarmingly the low mark seems to have
> been last month when only a single non-automated post was sent to
> dev@.

As far as I can understand that mostly depends on some of the most active
salaried developers got a new job thus they weren't able to keep up the
same "contribution rate" to the project.
Also, if I remember correctly, some discussions about the Clerezza security
module were quite "hot" and that may have played a role in this, but
actually I don't think that's the main reason.

> I recall Clerezza having release trouble due to complex/unreleased
> dependencies for a long time. Could that have contributed to the loss
> of momentum? I think it would be useful to somehow capture experience
> like this, perhaps ultimately for use by ComDev in something like a
> "How to maintain community momentum?" guide.

While I think that guide would be very useful (even if it'd quite hard to
grasp the very deep reasons / solutions) I think the unreleased
dependencies problem was resolved in not so long time.

I think the main reason for the low activity lately is related to the
previous point about salaried devs and to the fact that the most commonly
used pieces of Clerezza (e.g. the RDF API in Apache Stanbol) look quite ok
and stable requiring a minimal development effort.
At the same time there are a number of improvements that the PPMC is aware
of and that could be done.
Another hurdle to newcomers is in my opinion the huge number of modules /
pieces Clerezza is made of which may look scaring at first :-)

> Anyway, it sounds like the community has a reasonably good idea on how
> to proceed, so I'm not too worried yet even though Clerezza is already
> getting pretty close to its three-year mark at the Incubator. Though
> I'd really love to see Clerezza showing notable improvement or even
> graduating before that milestone is reached.

sure, +1.

Re: Adopting Clerezza ?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 11/08/12 15:07, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> A discussion is taking place on the Apache Incubator mailing list about
> the future of Clerezza.
>
> There are suggestions that Stanbol might want to adopt Clerezza.

General question - just not specific to the "Clerezza/TLP or not" thread:

I see various "rdf.jena...." in the Stanbol parent.

Is there anything that useful that Jena can do to help here? Supply
OSGi-packages? To Clerezza? Directly?  Maybe some small changes would
make things easier upstream from Jena.

As Reto has pointed out, Clerezza has quite wide coverage but if there
is anything that would help, please do tell us/Jena.

	Andy

Re: contenthub storage of items fails

Posted by Melanie Reiplinger <me...@dfki.de>.
Hi Suat,

Thank you for your fast reply, I will try to do another update and check
if it helps.
(I'm on revision 1371170)

best
melanie

Posted by Suat Gönül <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Melanie,

Posted by Melanie Reiplinger <me...@dfki.de>.
Hello Stanbolers,

[...]

org.apache.stanbol.contenthub.store.solr.SolrStoreImpl.enhanceAndPut(SolrStoreImpl.java:285)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.contenthub.web.resources.StoreResource.createEnhanceAndRedirect(StoreResource.java:659)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.contenthub.web.resources.StoreResource.createEnhanceAndRedirect(StoreResource.java:802)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.contenthub.web.resources.StoreResource.createContentItemWithId(StoreResource.java:496)
         at
         at
         at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.JavaMethodInvokerFactory$1.invoke(JavaMethodInvokerFactory.java:60)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider$ResponseOutInvoker._dispatch(AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider.java:205)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.dispatch(ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.java:75)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.HttpMethodRule.accept(HttpMethodRule.java:288)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RightHandPathRule.accept(RightHandPathRule.java:147)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.ResourceClassRule.accept(ResourceClassRule.java:108)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RightHandPathRule.accept(RightHandPathRule.java:147)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RootResourceClassesRule.accept(RootResourceClassesRule.java:84)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1483)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1414)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1363)
         at
com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1353)
         at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:414)
         at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:537)
         at
com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:708)
         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.handler.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:96)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.handler.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:79)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.ServletPipeline.handle(ServletPipeline.java:42)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.InvocationFilterChain.doFilter(InvocationFilterChain.java:49)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.HttpFilterChain.doFilter(HttpFilterChain.java:33)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.commons.httpqueryheaders.impl.QueryHeadersFilter.doFilter(QueryHeadersFilter.java:75)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.handler.FilterHandler.doHandle(FilterHandler.java:88)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.handler.FilterHandler.handle(FilterHandler.java:76)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.InvocationFilterChain.doFilter(InvocationFilterChain.java:47)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.HttpFilterChain.doFilter(HttpFilterChain.java:33)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.handler.FilterHandler.handle(FilterHandler.java:78)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.InvocationFilterChain.doFilter(InvocationFilterChain.java:47)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.HttpFilterChain.doFilter(HttpFilterChain.java:33)
         at
org.apache.felix.http.base.internal.dispatch.FilterPipeline.dispatch(FilterPipeline.java:48)
[...]
         at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
[...]
org.apache.stanbol.enhancer.jobmanager.event.impl.EventJobManagerImpl.enhanceContent(EventJobManagerImpl.java:113)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.contenthub.store.solr.SolrStoreImpl.enhance(SolrStoreImpl.java:221)
         ... 54 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to initialize the
Cache with Yard dbpediaIndex! This is usually caused by Errors while
reading the Cache Configuration from the Yard.
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.core.site.CacheImpl.getCacheYard(CacheImpl.java:214)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.core.site.CacheImpl.getQueryFactory(CacheImpl.java:356)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.core.impl.ReferencedSiteImpl.getQueryFactory(ReferencedSiteImpl.java:614)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.enhancer.engines.entitytagging.impl.NamedEntityTaggingEngine.computeEntityRecommentations(NamedEntityTaggingEngine.java:444)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.enhancer.engines.entitytagging.impl.NamedEntityTaggingEngine.computeEnhancements(NamedEntityTaggingEngine.java:369)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.enhancer.jobmanager.event.impl.EnhancementJobHandler.processEvent(EnhancementJobHandler.java:259)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.enhancer.jobmanager.event.impl.EnhancementJobHandler.handleEvent(EnhancementJobHandler.java:181)
         at
org.apache.felix.eventadmin.impl.tasks.HandlerTaskImpl.execute(HandlerTaskImpl.java:88)
         at
org.apache.felix.eventadmin.impl.tasks.SyncDeliverTasks.execute(SyncDeliverTasks.java:221)
         at
org.apache.felix.eventadmin.impl.tasks.AsyncDeliverTasks$TaskExecuter.run(AsyncDeliverTasks.java:110)
         at
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.PooledExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
Caused by: org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.servicesapi.yard.YardException:
The SolrIndex 'dbpedia' for SolrYard 'dbpedia default data index' is
currently not active!
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.yard.solr.impl.SolrYard.getServer(SolrYard.java:545)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.yard.solr.impl.SolrYard.getRepresentation(SolrYard.java:896)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.core.site.CacheUtils.loadBaseMappings(CacheUtils.java:54)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.core.site.CacheImpl.initWithCacheYard(CacheImpl.java:114)
         at
org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.core.site.CacheImpl.getCacheYard(CacheImpl.java:210)
[...]
by:</h3><pre>org.apache.stanbol.entityhub.servicesapi.yard.YardException: The

Adopting Clerezza ?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 11/08/12 12:33, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 08/08/12 23:16, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>
>>> If the efforts to grow or reactivate the community fail, would it be a
>>> good idea to seek to join forces with some related projects like
>>> Stanbol, Any23 or UIMA? Or do you feel that there are still enough
>>> active people to allow the project to function as a standalone TLP
>>> (able to reach 3 PMC votes for releases, etc.)?
>>>

>> Or Jena.
>>

> I think from the scope of the application (platform for semantic web
> applications) clerezza is the closest to jena. However from the software
> architecture clerezza is signifantly closer to Stanbol. Main elements of
> clerezza are a very spec close layered RDF API and a platform based on
> OSGi, not sure how much the Jena community is interested in these.

Ask them :-)

If it helps, Jena can add OSGi-packaged components.

I see various "rdf.jena...." in the Stanbol parent.  Maybe we should
take this to (stanbol|clerezza)-dev for detailed discussion.

	Andy

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.