Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ivan Rodriguez <iv...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/01 01:35:25 UTC

Cloudstack on current network infrastructure

Hi everyone,

We currently have several vlans in each vlan we have servers providing
several services voice/data/email etc,  we are thinking in consolidate some
of this servers in our cloudstack deployment we currently have one advanced
zone, so when we configure the advanced zone we can setup the vlan range
for the zone,
however for each domain/network the vlanid is automatically assigned by
cloudstack, so I'm wondering if there is a way to bring our current vlan
subnets
into cloudstack, ideally we would like for example to define a domain
"email" with   vlanid 500 and be able to provision  vm's in that domain
that will have
 an ip address inside that vlan,  is this something that we can  do  ???

Our second option, will be perhaps to provision normal domains/vlans with a
completely vlan range for cloudstack, then build a bridge on the os to an
interface
with the vlan tag that we wanna use and present that one to the vm
generate  a template from that vm and start provision vm's like that, I'm
not sure if this option will work.

I'm about to start testing this bit but will be really appreciate if anyone
can give us some tips for this configuration to work.

Thanks
Ivan

Re: Cloudstack on current network infrastructure

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Ivan.  Option one is possible with an advanced zone.  The automatic
assignment of VLANs is only for "isolated" networks, so use "shared"
networks instead.  Create a shared network in CloudStack with the
desired VLAN and IP ranges, then use CloudStack to deploy VMs to this
network.

Shared networks are created under Infrastructure > Zone (select the
zone) > Physical Network (select the physical network) > Guest (click
Configure) > Network tab > Add guest network.  You can select an
existing shared network to add additional IP ranges.  The dialog looks
like this in the CS 3.0.2 UI:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ylpiy0.png

Best regards,
Kirk

Posted by Justin Porterfield <JP...@onesite.com>.
I had a similar situation and struggled to find a solution but this
information helped me out quite a bit:

http://www.shapeblue.com/2012/05/10/using-the-api-for-advanced-network-mana
gement/

There's no clear way to set up a network with an existing VLAN using the
web interface but it is possible through the API.