Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Adrian Sandor <ad...@genuco.com> on 2008/04/03 08:15:35 UTC

Mapping source artifacts in Ivy

Hi, I'd like to ask about 2 problems I encountered in the process of
building an Ivy repository:

1. Is it possible to define an artifact to belong to the "intersection"
of 2 configurations?
Generally, in my modules I have at least 2 configurations: compile and
devel; compile is the minimum required to get the code to compile, and
devel extends compile and is supposed to include sources and javadocs.
In slf4j for example, I have several jar artifacts: slf4j-api,
slf4j-jdk14, slf4j-log4j12 etc. So I defined some more configurations,
such as jdk and log4j, extending compile.
Now, for each jar artifact I also have a source artifact. But I only
want the sources to be accessible in the devel configuration. So for
example, slf4j-log4j12 sources should belong to the intersection of the
devel and log4j configurations.
Is there a way to define that in ivy? So far, the only solution I found
is to define yet another configuration for each such case, e.g.
devel-log4j extends log4j, and then that doesn't extends devel, so I
have to write mappings like devel->devel,devel-log4j
This is not just about source artifacts; as Archie mentioned in a
previous email, each module may be configured along several
"dimensions", and if that leads to exponential growth in the number of
configurations (that need to be defined explicitly), then it can very
quickly get out of hand.

2. Can we have a way to define the source (or javadoc, or whatever)
artifact(s) associated with a jar artifact?
Currently, the convention seems to be to have artifacts with the same
name and different type. E.g. artifact name="slf4j-api" type="source"
associates with artifact name="slf4j-api" type="jar".
But what if, for example, I have the source for all slf4j artifacts in
slf4j-src.zip? It would be nice to have a way to define that as the same
source artifact for all the jar artifacts. Same for javadocs.

What do you think?

Adrian