Posted to user@stdcxx.apache.org by "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <ap...@attglobal.net> on 2008/12/01 06:59:23 UTC

Re: Building stdcxx-4.2.2 Using MinGW+MSYS On Windows XP (SP2)

[FZ]
 I have MSYS 1.0.11.0(0.46/3/2) and "ln --version" reports version 5.97

[SP]
The "ln" in MSYS 1.0.10 was pre-5.97, so I downloaded and installed:

   msysCORE-1.0.11-20080826.tar.gz.

In this version of MSYS, the "ln" version is 5.97.

I reverted to the GNUmakefile shipped with stdcxx-4.2.2, and ran the
stdcxx-4.2.2 build under MSYS with the following command (following the
instructions in your earlier email, except: changing the BUILDTYPE to 11s
from 15D, and explicitly specifying the CONFIG=gcc.config):

   make BUILDDIR=/stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s \
      BUILDTYPE=11s \
      CONFIG=gcc.config \
      config lib

The "ln" command worked ok, and the build created a "libstd11s.a" file of
12.4 MB size.

HOWEVER, after the completion of the "ar rv   libstd11s.a ..." command
executed near the very end of the build process, the following was displayed
on the MSYS console, and the build process stopped:

   ar rv   libstd11s.a
   [...]
   a - valarray.o
   a - vecbool.o
   a - version.o
   a - wcodecvt.o
   a - wctype.o
   i:\apps\mingw\bin\ar.exe: creating libstd11s.a
   gencat rwstderr.cat /stdcxx-4.2.2/src/rwstderr.msg
   /bin/sh: gencat: command not found
   make[2]: [rwstderr.cat] Error 127 (ignored)
   make[2]: Leaving directory `/stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s/lib'
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s'
   make: Nothing to be done for `lib'.

   SteveP@DELL /stdcxx-4.2.2

It looked to me like the (line 10) message:

   "/bin/sh: gencat: command not found"

happened because the stdcxx-4.2.2 utilities had not been built, so no
"gencat.exe" utility program existed..

So I deleted the "build_11s" build, and ran the stdcxx-4.2.2 build under
MSYS, using the following command:

   make BUILDDIR=/stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s \
      BUILDTYPE=11s \
      CONFIG=gcc.config \
      builddir config util lib locales

Again, the build ended, with a "/bin/sh: gencat: command not found" error.

However, there was now a "gencat.exe" in /stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s/bin".

It looked like the "/bin/sh: gencat: command not found" error was caused
because "gencat.exe" was not reachable via any path definition.

So I copied "gencat.exe" into the /msys/1.0.11/bin/" directory, and tried to
install the library, using the following command, with MSYS in the
/stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s directory:

   make install PREFIX=install_11s

The install displayed the following on the MSYS console:

   $ make install PREFIX=install_11s
   mkdir -p install_11s
   make -Clib install
   make[1]: Entering directory `/stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s/lib'
   gencat rwstderr.cat /stdcxx-4.2.2/src/rwstderr.msg
   windres: i:/apps/stdcxx-4.2.2/src/rwstderr.msg:1: syntax error
   make[1]: [rwstderr.cat] Error 1 (ignored)
   mkdir -p install_11s/lib
   cp libstd11s.a install_11s/lib
   if [ libstd11s.a != libstd11s.a ]; then          \
               rm install_11s/lib/libstd11s.a;           \
               ln -s libstd11s.a install_11s/lib/libstd11s.a; \
           fi
   mkdir -p install_11s/etc
   cp rwstderr.cat install_11s/etc
   cp: cannot stat `rwstderr.cat': No such file or directory
   make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s/lib'
   make: *** [install] Error 2

   SteveP@DELL /stdcxx-4.2.2/build_11s

On line 6 of the above, the gencat command failed, and displayed:

   "windres: i:/apps/stdcxx-4.2.2/src/rwstderr.msg:1: syntax error".

On line 16 of the above, the cp command failed (due to the earlier failure
of the gencat command), and displayed:

   "cp: cannot stat `rwstderr.cat': No such file or directory".

I tried changing the format of file "rwstderr.msg" from DOS to UNIX format
(i.e from 0D0A line ends, to 0A line ends) but got the same error from
"gencat.exe".

So now I'm stuck at the install step.

Would please tell me, what do I need to do, to get the gencat.exe utility to
accept the rwstderr.msg file?

Thanks,

Steve