Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Wicus <wi...@webmail.co.za> on 2008/09/01 16:01:24 UTC

End-User Documentation

Hi,

We setup ofbiz with the aid of the "Technical Production Setup Guide"

We are using a non-Demo configuration and prefer configuring ofbiz from
scratch. (Rather have any issues now, than at production time)

The "Business Setup Guide" refers to the Demo-data, which we did not
configure our installation with, as mentioned earlier.

Can anyone possibly help with a - Business Setup Guide / Tutorial - starting
from scratch ?

We are unfortunately not that clued-up with accounting or CRM applications
and learning as we go along. A step-by-step / Dummies Guide / from scratch
Tutorial would be appreciated or anyhing closely related.

A simple guide that would touch all (minor) aspects of each module to give
us a bigger picture of the whole application.

I am taking notes as I move along for future reference. Sources to date
include neogia.org, opentaps.org and opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz which
are not very forth coming.

Thanks

Re: End-User Documentation

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I bumped up and recent discussion.

Wicus sent the following on 9/2/2008 10:52 AM:

Re: End-User Documentation

Posted by Wicus <wi...@webmail.co.za>.

Re: End-User Documentation

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
since this is community looks like your the person to accomplish this.
:)

Wicus sent the following on 9/2/2008 5:51 AM:

Re: End-User Documentation

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
http://www.les7arts.com/assist/OFBiz/Creation%20Catalogue%20de%20produits.htm

I have changed French translation for Facilty tab from "Stock" to "Entreposage" since then (and maybe some other labels). Apart this
it should be still usable

Jacques

From: "Wicus" <wi...@webmail.co.za>

Re: End-User Documentation

Posted by Wicus <wi...@webmail.co.za>.
Jacques,

Re: End-User Documentation

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I began to write something like that 3 years ago, but unfortunately it's only in French

Jacques

From: "Wicus" <wi...@webmail.co.za>

Re: End-User Documentation

Re: End-User Documentation

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Wicus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We setup ofbiz with the aid of the "Technical Production Setup Guide"
>
> We are using a non-Demo configuration and prefer configuring ofbiz from
> scratch. (Rather have any issues now, than at production time)
>
> The "Business Setup Guide" refers to the Demo-data, which we did not
> configure our installation with, as mentioned earlier.
>
> Can anyone possibly help with a - Business Setup Guide / Tutorial - starting
> from scratch ?
>
> We are unfortunately not that clued-up with accounting or CRM applications
> and learning as we go along. A step-by-step / Dummies Guide / from scratch
> Tutorial would be appreciated or anyhing closely related.

If you are starting from scratch then these terms do not apply in any way. In other words starting from scratch is not
for dummies or for new people who want a tutorial, and a step-by-step guide would include thousands of steps.

As a hint, even people very expert with OFBiz start with the demo data to get going. Of course, they usually do it by
editing the EE XML data files before they are loaded into the database, but it is otherwise all the same stuff.

> A simple guide that would touch all (minor) aspects of each module to give
> us a bigger picture of the whole application.
>
> I am taking notes as I move along for future reference. Sources to date
> include neogia.org, opentaps.org and opensourcestrategies.com/ofbiz which
> are not very forth coming.

These are not good sources for information about OFBiz. While these projects are based on OFBiz they are mostly far
behind the OFBiz community and haven't updated for a while, and to make documentation matters even worse they have added
to OFBiz and replaced many things that exist in OFBiz, so they are very different software packages.

The best sources are those linked to from the ofbiz.apache.org home page, many of which are on the docs.ofbiz.org
(especially the hundreds of docs in the End User area, and the wiki area). Also, if you really want details don't forget
the thousands of comments built into entity and service definitions that are the basis of OFBiz.

-David