Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stuart Lamble <St...@batemanbv.com> on 2004/03/18 09:36:41 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual hosting for multiple ip addresses

Hello Apache users

It it possible to have a central apache web server that has a public IP
address nated behind a firewall, host or rather redirect web addresses to
other apache web servers on the LAN.

For example, in the </VirtualHost> section, can I point to another apache
web server on my LAN.
So that if my main url is www.abc.abc and that is hosted on my main nated
apache web server, and I want to host another server for example
hosta.abc.abc, which is on another apache server on the LAN.

Understanding that I have a single public IP address, and need to host
various web servers behind the firewall.
So DNAT could work, but then I would need to use different ports for each
server.

I am sure that apache would be smart enought to handle this, or .... Not?

Stuart

Re: [users@httpd] Virtual hosting for multiple ip addresses

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Stuart Lamble wrote:
> It it possible to have a central apache web server that has a public IP
> address nated behind a firewall, host or rather redirect web addresses to
> other apache web servers on the LAN.
>
> For example, in the </VirtualHost> section, can I point to another apache
> web server on my LAN.
> So that if my main url is www.abc.abc and that is hosted on my main nated
> apache web server, and I want to host another server for example
> hosta.abc.abc, which is on another apache server on the LAN.
>
> Understanding that I have a single public IP address, and need to host
> various web servers behind the firewall.
> So DNAT could work, but then I would need to use different ports for each
> server.
>
> I am sure that apache would be smart enought to handle this, or .... Not?

Yes, this can be accomplished through reverse proxying on the "dmz"
server.  See the discussion about this techiqnue on this list over the
last couple days, and especially Nick Kew's tutorial.

Joshua.