Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by ri...@cardsetc.com on 2001/04/30 09:41:41 UTC

SOAP requires Xerces: breaks XmlDocument?

Dear All,

I've encountered a most infuriating stand-off with DOM: I've managed to get
back my SOAP response, open it up, yank out the XML, parse it into a DOM
tree, and insert a new Node into it, and now all I need to do is write it
back out as XML again.

I'd have thought this would be easy, and indeed according to all the
examples I can use com.sun.xml.tree.XmlDocument to do just that, but every
time I instantiate one I get a NullPointerException. I'm pretty sure this
is because, according to a line in the docs, XmlDocument needs SUN'S XML
parser (which apparently implements a static method or something).

Anyway, I don't mind either way (i.e. use XmlDocument or use Xerces), but I
REALLY need to output my DOM tree as XML. Surely this shouldn't be that
difficult?

Any help would be much appreciated - many thanks in advance,

Richard.

Re: SOAP requires Xerces: breaks XmlDocument?

Posted by "mr_gopinath@yahoo.com" <mr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
	You can use org.apache.xml.serialize.XMLSerialize class to serialize
DOM tree to xml format to any writer.  This is outside the xerces
package and I think it uses only DOM APIs to serialize, no xerces
specific APIs are used.  I hope it helps.

regards,
Gopinath M.R.
Aztec software,
Bangalore,India

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@nuix.com.au>.
Richard,

Ok - new on the list, and to the whole SOAP thing, but from what I understand
you're getting an org.w3c.dom.Element object?  If so, you can use JDOM
(http://www.jdom.org) to build your tree and do as you please with it.  Might
be a bit of an overkill given how far you've got... but if you just want it
to work... (o:

hope this helps.
cheers
dim