Posted to dev@heron.apache.org by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/11 17:30:47 UTC

3/12/2019 Bi-Weekly OSS Heron Sync-up

Hi, all~,

It has been two weeks since our last sync and it is time to share our
progress again. Let's share our works for the last two weeks in this
thread.

My updates (mostly internal works, not much on Apache side):
- Worked with OSS team about the April meetup
- Maven artifacts for Apache release 0.20.1 rc1 is uploaded to Apache maven
repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/staging/org/apache/heron/.
Working on the binary packages now. The current discussion about file
hosting can be found here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/heron-dev/201903.mbox/%3CCAHZ_pm6Dh0mtRdRZL07jMPKZitr%3DNmQLFq7ZuDzL_jGRR%2Btxxw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Regards,
--ning

Re: 3/12/2019 Bi-Weekly OSS Heron Sync-up

Posted by Saikat Kanjilal <sx...@hotmail.com>.
Welcoming Rohan to hazel upgrade efforts and keeping discussions humming on machine learning initiatives around heron, still defining use cases for this

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 6:58 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> > On Mar 12, 2019, at 4:22 PM, Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io> wrote:
> >
> > Not too much for me this week.
> >
> > I participated in a few conversations on the Bazel upgrade process and
> the
> > script that sets up IntelliJ.
> >
> > A thought/question  on my mind: How do we move conversations that happen
> in
> > slack to the mailing list?  I know this has been discussed a few times.
> > Maybe some time of job that pulls conversations from each channel and
> mails
> > them to the list on a nightly basis?
>
> Ask the Apache Pulsar team about slack jobs - Matteo has one.

    ** Good to know and will do. Thank you Dave.

> > I can understand the ease of use of slack and why we have it.  However I
> > also understand the importance of managing this project’s discussions
> > through the mailing list.
>
> Dev list is preferred for long thoughtful asynchronous threaded
> discussions that you may want to find 15 years from now. I have gone that
> far back on projects where I’ve been on the PMC for 11 years. Slack my be
> gone in 10 years, but the Apache Archives will live.

    ** Understood and agreed.

Posted by Sree V <sr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi Team,
My Updates:- Organize meetup for March 2019.The special about this meetup is, it is the beginning of a series of talks, close to the book that is coming up.
https://www.meetup.com/Apache-Heron-Bay-Area/events/xvmlqqyzfbxb/
- Our current meetup location in Palo Alto CA, will be going some renovation soon.Await details.
- Collaboration with other groups.ACM.org's local chapter SFBayACM.org, accepted one of our speaker.The talk will be on Heron usecases.It is in the month of June. And the location is either PayPal or Walmart.
Await details.

- PublicizeAdvertising our meetup, at various co-working spaces, in the south bay.

- First Anniversary Meetup at Twitter HQ in Apr 2019. Date & Time TBD.
Coordinated with Ning W., Twitter.

Thank you./Sree650.213.2707 M (prefer text)

    On Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 5:24:10 PM PDT, Simon Weng <si...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi:

Here're what I did:

  1. contributed a KafkaSpout to the Heron Spout effort
  2. fixed an issue that prevents "setup-intellij.sh" from generating
  correct project for IntelliJ
  3. troubleshooted and found the root cause why DistributedLog-based
  stateful storage, i.e. "org.apache.heron.statefulstorage.dlog.DlogStorage"
  didn't work, and a ticket was logged to track that
  4. troubleshooted and found the root cause why CheckpointManager could
  not be configured at deployment time on Kubernetes, a ticket was logged to
  track that
  5. help answering some Kafka related questions on Slack channel

Cheers,

Simon Weng

Posted by Simon Weng <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi:

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
For slack vs email, I guess we can start one in slack and move to mailing
list when we have a good question to ask more input. Not all people are in
slack during a discussion. Not all for email either but it is better and
the question won't get lost after some time.

Posted by Josh Fischer <jo...@joshfischer.io>.
Not too much for me this week.

--
Sent from A Mobile Device

Re: 3/12/2019 Bi-Weekly OSS Heron Sync-up

Posted by Xiaoyao Qian <qi...@illinois.edu>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ning Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Friendly ping~

Posted by Neng Lu <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

--
Best Regards,
Neng

Re: 3/12/2019 Bi-Weekly OSS Heron Sync-up

Posted by FatJ Love <hu...@gmail.com>.
My update