Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rigo, Jeff" <Je...@expedient.com> on 2007/03/20 14:42:46 UTC

Tomcat + Cisco CSS Load-balancer configuration

I am working with a customer to setup load-balancing in a tomcat
environment by way of Cisco CSS11501 load-balancing hardware.  We are
attempting to use the 'advance-balance cookieurl' method of Cisco
load-balancing.  This will check for a cookie in order to manage session
stickiness, but if a user is blocking cookies then it will search the
URL for the session information.

The cookie-based load-balancing is working as expected, but when a user
is blocking cookies the stickiness fails, and the user is subject to
round-robin server assignment.

Is anyone running tomcat in a Cisco CSS environment?  Can you forward
your configuration on to me, especially if you are using the
'advance-balance cookieurl' method?

Problems that we are encountering:
-----
- Tomcat writes the cookie name in upper-case (JSESSIONID) when using
cookies, and in lower-case (jsessionid) when placing the cookie name
into the URL.  The Cisco CSS is case-sensitive when searching for this
string.
- Tomcat places the server identification in the URL *before* the "?",
and the Cisco CSS searches the URL for the server identification *after*
the "?".

If it helps to make this any more clear, here is an example URL:
 - cookie name: jsessionid
 - server ident: appprod01
http://123.123.123.123/consoles/createSSOLinks.do;jsessionid=1E39A3E747B
EDD1C28F9EA87B9B8EF48.appprod01?usn=bob&fn=&ln=&arm=true&otherstuff=&fee
t=&inches=&weight=&sup=false&aun=&spl=1&type=BLAH&amp;r=

I have spoken to Cisco and they claim to not have a method to overcome
this, so I was hoping that someone is running a similar configuration
that I may be able learn from.

Thanks,

- Jeff

Re: Tomcat + Cisco CSS Load-balancer configuration

Posted by Andrew Miehs <an...@2sheds.de>.