Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Ken Tam <ke...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/22 01:34:20 UTC

Moving system SCDLs into separate module under java\sca

Right now there's a set of SCDL files that define one particular basic
runtime (used by the launchers), but it's packaged with the
command-line launcher module (meaning that the SCDL and classes like
MainLauncherBooter always come together).

I propose adding the following structure and moving the current SCDL
files into it:

java\sca\scdl

+-basic-system
|    + // current set of system SCDL files (system.scdl, loader.scdl, etc)

+- // other system definitions as they develop

Each scdl module would result in a JAR, and distributions could
include the appropriate one as desired.

Thoughts?

Re: Moving system SCDLs into separate module under java\sca

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Jul 21, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Ken Tam wrote:

> Right now there's a set of SCDL files that define one particular basic
> runtime (used by the launchers), but it's packaged with the
> command-line launcher module (meaning that the SCDL and classes like
> MainLauncherBooter always come together).
>
> I propose adding the following structure and moving the current SCDL
> files into it:
>
> java\sca\scdl
> |
> +-basic-system
> |    + // current set of system SCDL files (system.scdl,
> loader.scdl, etc)
> |
> +- // other system definitions as they develop
>
> Each scdl module would result in a JAR, and distributions could
> include the appropriate one as desired.

How much of these do you think will be common and reusable?

For example, the runtime for the launcher and the test modules are
similar but slightly different (the test version does not have a
directory-based extender). I think the webapp one may be similar now
but will quickly diverge as we add more web-like features (like a jsp
implementation).

I am concerned that in attempting to make things shareable we break
them down into very small chunks that end up making it harder for
users (as they have to deal with all the small chunks).

Instead, how about putting the included definitions into the "core"
jar so that they become includable composites inside it. Then the
launcher, servlet, whatever, host can reference them in the same way
they can reference classes? This would mean extending the Include
loader to be able to locate things by searching the classpath rather
than just using relative URLs but that would be easy to do and
generally useful.

--
Jeremy