Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Xuefu Zhang <xu...@apache.org> on 2020/07/22 04:54:24 UTC

HIVE-19853 and Timestamp in Arrow

Hi all,

Recently I noticed that HIve serializes timestamp, which has no time zone,
in Arrow as microsec in UTC. This seems a little counterintuitive on the
surface. Thus, I'd like to understand it a bit more. From the JIRA [1], it
seems that the choice was made for Spark because Spark does that. However,
I wonder what we do if another system expects timestamp values in Arrow
having no time zone. I asked this because I exactly hit this issue.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Xuefu