Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2017/06/04 20:36:47 UTC

Podling Lifecycle Management in Whimsy

I've been trying to come up with ways to port the Incubator website.  I
always get stuck on the podling status pages/podlings.xml.  When it comes
to the incubator, vs the podlings status, I feel like these are two
different concerns.

With some recent enhancements that have gone into whimsy, I'm wondering if
it makes sense to move podling management into Whimsy outright.  IPMC
members could login to a web interface, create a podling, PPMC members can
update their podlings.  We can track all of the dates from the status file
in a web form.

Thoughts?

John

Re: Podling Lifecycle Management in Whimsy

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 5 June 2017 at 11:17, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2017-06-05 04:09 (-0400), sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> JSON does not allow comments, so I don't think that's ideal.
>
> What kinds of comments were you thinking of?

The sort of comments that are in the existing XML files.

Hints as to how to fill in the blanks (for direct SVN editting).

etc.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 4:36 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've been trying to come up with ways to port the Incubator website.  I
> always get stuck on the podling status pages/podlings.xml.  When it comes
> to the incubator, vs the podlings status, I feel like these are two
> different concerns.
>
> With some recent enhancements that have gone into whimsy, I'm wondering if
> it makes sense to move podling management into Whimsy outright.  IPMC
> members could login to a web interface, create a podling, PPMC members can
> update their podlings.  We can track all of the dates from the status file
> in a web form.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Things like podlings.xml are places where data is stored.

Whimsy tools can be used to update data whereever it may be.  In fact,
it can co-exist nicely with other tools that update the same data.
Including text editors.

Whimsy tools can also update information in multiple places.  Adding a
mentor to a podling using the roster tool updates both LDAP and
podlings.xml.

The content in https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/projects
is an entirely different matter.  Looking at a few case, it appears to
be nearly but not accurately parseable.  If those files could be
converted to something more semantic (ideally JSON or YAML), and a
tool written which converts that data into HTML, then text editors and
web interfaces alike could be used to update this data.

Perhaps you are suggesting that instead of static webpage generation
from the underlying data source that a whimsy tool could be used to
render this information dynamically?  If that's what you mean, that's
definitely possible.  And isn't mutually exclusive with other tools
generating pages from this same data.

Either way, the roster tool could still be used to add a mentor.  It
just would update this information in three places (podlings.xml,
LDAP, and status file).

> John

- Sam Ruby