Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Youngho Cho <yo...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/08 08:32:10 UTC

generate enum from db at runtime

Hello Thomas,

Can torque generate enum class from database ?

For example,

following turbine-fucrum-torque security model

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/turbine/fulcrum/trunk/security/torque/schema/fulcrum-turbine-schema.xml?revision=1575232&view=markup

has Role, Permission table.

And It can be added during system running.

When those table column added/removed,
I hope to running maven-plugin or ant target etc.. to generate
corresponding enum class.

Is it possible senario ?

Thanks,

Youngho

Re: generate enum from db at runtime

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 15.10.14 09:52, Thomas Fox wrote:
> Hi Youngho,
>
> I am afraid my current draft does not allow TABLE enums (as you use), only COLUMN enums (which was my primary use case).
> I now see that your use case also makes sense, I did not think of it before.
>
> For your current ROLE table, do you need the ROLE_NAME in database?
> If not, you could still use the column enum solution for the id column.
>
> I need to think about whether it would be possible to make Tables enum.
> Perhaps something like this

>   <column name="ROLE_ID" required="true" primaryKey="true" type="INTEGER">
>     <enum-value value="1"/>
>     <enum-value value="2"/>
>     <enum-value value="3"/>
>   </column>
>   <column name="ROLE_NAME" required="true" size="99" type="VARCHAR" javaName="Name">
>     <enum-value value="Guest"/>
>     <enum-value value="Member"/>
>     <enum-value value="Owner"/>
>   <column>
>   <unique>
>     <unique-column name="ROLE_NAME"/>
>   </unique>

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. It mixes data with code which
will shoot you in the foot eventually, no matter what. I can see the use
case for column enums but table enums would render the table useless in
the end.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: generate enum from db at runtime

Posted by Youngho Cho <yo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thomas,

Yes current column enums is enough I think.
This cool feature is one of reason why I have to migrate 4.1 more quickly !.

Thanks,

Youngho

Posted by Thomas Fox <th...@seitenbau.com>.

Posted by Youngho Cho <yo...@gmail.com>.