Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Diego Rodríguez Martín <dr...@altiria.com> on 2007/06/08 19:50:17 UTC

Tomcat 6 classloader leak in Commons Pool

Hi,

    I have a webapp that is running ok under tomcat 5.5. I have upgrade
to Tomcat 6 and I have found a big memory leak because WebAppClassLoader
gets never garbage collected.

    I have used a profiler and have found that the object that is
stopping the garbage collector could be EVICTION_TIMER of
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool. I have googled it
and I have found the following bug in commons pool

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-97?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12484747

It affects version 1.3 of commons pool. In tomcat 6, commons pool is
embbeded in /tomcat-dbcp.jar/, and the docs don't say with version of
commons is inside.

Could tomcat be running with this bug?
Since pool is embedded, is there a simple workaround to get rid of it
downgrading commons pool version to use the same as tomcat 5.5?

    Thanks

Diego Rodríguez Martín (drodriguez@altiria.com)
ALTIRIA TIC - Servicios SMS - Desarrollo Web
Tel. +34 913311198 - Fax +34 913310087 - Móvil +34 610299750
www.altiria.com

Re: Tomcat 6 classloader leak in Commons Pool

Posted by Diego Rodríguez Martín <dr...@altiria.com>.
Hi,

    I have tried what you suggested but it doesn't release the context
properly. The method in Registry is unregisterComponent (unregister
doesn't exist)

ObjectName on = new
ObjectName("Catalina:type=DataSource,path=/myapp,host=localhost,class=org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource,name=jdbc/MyPool");
(Registry.getRegistry(null, null)).unregisterComponent(on);

    I have tried with other parameters in ObjectName, but it doesn't
complain even if the parameters are wrong so, how can I know they are right?

    Bill, How do I open a BZ issue?

    Thank you very much for your help

        Diego

Bill Barker escribió:
> "Diego Rodríguez Martín" <dr...@altiria.com> wrote in message
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    I have been making some more tests about this issue, using old
>> dbcp/pool factory to get rid of the memory leaks of tomcat embedded
>> libraries commons-pool/commons-dbcp
>>
>>    When using my own factory for dbcp and commons pool (the old versions),
>> I clear the resources used invoking datasource.close() in my servlet
>> destroy method. With a memory profiler, I have found that the offending
>> class causing the leak is org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.ManagedBean. It
>> keeps two attributes referencing my dbcp pool, called resource and
>> resourceType.
>>
>>    Is there a way I can access from my servlet this class
>> (org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.ManagedBean) in order to clean the
>> references?
>>    Is there any other action to be taken to free a resource than calling
>> datasource.close() that I am missing?
>>    Is my fault freeing the resource or its Tomcat fault?
>>

> It is probably Tomcat's fault, since it looks like Tomcat doesn't unregister
> the DataSource elements from JMX when the context is stopped.  You should
> probably open a BZ issue for this (it doesn't look like the fix is too hard,
> NamingContextListener just needs to handle a "stop" event).
>
> To work around it, you just need to unregister the MBean, so something like:
>    ObjectName on = new
> ObjectName("Catalina:type=DataSource,path=/myapp,host=localhost,class=my.full.class.name,name=resourceName");
>    Registry.getRegistry(null, null).unregister(on);
>
> should work.
>

>>    Thank you very much in advance for your help
>>
>>       Diego
>>

>> Diego Rodríguez Martín escribió:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>    I have found what you said about the factory. It is ported to 6.0. I
>>> have tried to use the old commons-dbcp library, copying
>>> commons-pool-1.2.jar and commons-dbcp-1.2.2.jar in tomcat lib directory
>>> and defining the attribute
>>> factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory" in the resource
>>> in my context.xml.
>>>
>>>    It works, but I still have a memory leak. Tomcat is retaining my new
>>> commons-dbcp classes, and I think it is related to this classes:
>>>
>>> org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.BaseModelMBean,
>>> com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.NamedObject,
>>> com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.RepositorySupport.
>>> com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Diego Rodríguez Martín <dr...@altiria.com>.
Sorry, you are right, it is in
org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.BaseModelMBean, and resource attribute it
is retaining is an org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource

    Diego

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Diego Rodríguez Martín <dr...@altiria.com>.
Hi,