Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Rinke Heida <ri...@aris.nl> on 2005/11/01 09:57:21 UTC

Re: Survey

>I would like to ask the users of JMeter if anyone uses JMeter to run
>automated tests. If you do, how do you structure your directories and files?
>Would do people imagine using a reporting tool? If you do use jmeter for
>automated tests, can take a minute to answer these questions.
>
>1. how often do you run the automated tests?

About 4 times a year

>2. how do you structure the files?

<project>\
   data\
      <version>_<testdate>\
         input\
            userNR.dat
            weekNR.dat
            etc.
         log\
            err.log
            run.log
            A1_1.html (response with errors)
         report\
            resp_u<NrOfThreads>.xls (responses)
            stat_u<NrOfThreads>.xls (min, max, mean etc per request of
10 runs)
            diff_u<NrOfThreads>.xls (difference with older version)
            totl.xls (total report with stats and diffs on testplan level)
         output\
            <testplancode>_u<NrOfThreads>.jtl (csv output)
            A_u10.jtl
            etc.
   log\ (temporary log directory is copied afterwards to <version> log.
   prg\
      bat\ (startup scripts for JMeter and setting variables)
      ini\ (jmeter ini file)
      jmx\
         <testplancode>.jmx
         A.jmx
         B.jmx
         etc.

>3. do you use a naming convention for the directories and files?

The version of the webapp and the testdate are the name of a
subdirectory in which all input and output is stored (in subdirectories).
The testplans are named A to O.

>4. how many test plans do you run?

15 testplans in which 4 testplans are used for 3 configurations of the
webapplication (makes total of 23 different tests)

>5. which listeners do you use to save the results

Simple data writer to log errors only.
Aggregate report, View Results Tree and Assertion Result in GUI mode
(building testplan and checking errors etc.)
-l <resultlog> on commandline.

Not a listener but very usefull is save failed responses only (a pity
only that it saves in the JMeter bin directory).

>6. what kinds of charts and graphs do you want?

None at this moment, we only determine differences between two versions
of the webapplication whith a custom build VB/Excel app.

>thanks in advance.
>

>peter lin

Rinke Heida