Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/05/02 00:59:52 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Spark branch-2.0

Hi devs,

Three weeks ago I mentioned on the dev list creating branch-2.0
(effectively "feature freeze") in 2 - 3 weeks. I've just created Spark's
branch-2.0 to form the basis of the 2.0 release. We have closed ~ 1700
issues. That's huge progress, and we should celebrate that.

Compared with past releases when we cut the release branch, we have way
fewer open issues. In the past we usually have 200 - 400 open issues when
we cut the release branch. As of today we have less than 100 open issues
for 2.0.0, and among these 14 critical and 2 blocker (Jersey dependency
upgrade and some remaining issues in separating out local linear algebra
library).

What does this mean for committers?

0. For patches that should go into Spark 2.0.0, make sure you also merge
them into not just master, but also branch-2.0.

1. In the next couple of days, sheppard some of the more important,
straggler pull requests in.

2. Switch the focus from new feature development to bug fixes, stability
improvements, finalizing API tweaks, and documentation.

3. Experimental features (e.g. R, structured streaming) can continue to be
developed, provided that the changes don't impact the non-experimental
features.

4. We should become increasingly conservative as time goes on, even for
experimental features.

5. Please un-target or re-target issues if they don't make sense for 2.0.
We should burn # issues down to ~ 0 by the time we have a release candidate.

7. If possible, reach out to users and start testing branch-2.0 to find
bugs. The more testing we can do on real workloads before the release, the
less bugs we will find in the actual Spark 2.0 release.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Spark branch-2.0

Posted by Pete Robbins <ro...@gmail.com>.

is really a defect and a blocker unless it is the decision to drop support
for Big Endian platforms. The PR has been reviewed and tested and I
strongly believe this needs to be targeted for 2.0.