Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> on 2002/11/06 20:10:54 UTC

Graph of Struts Growth.l

Back in Feburary of 2001 when I proposed to my new
employer that we use struts, one of the items I looked at was
mailing list traffic, between it and other open source projects.
I have been keeping that chart up to date and thought people here
might find it interesting. This is a simplified chart which only shows
tomcat and struts list traffic.

Back then the tomcat mailing list traffic was so large that it made the
struts mailing list traffic look like a straight line. That has definately
changed !

-Rob

Re: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Robert Leland wrote:

> Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 14:10:54 -0500
> From: Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>
> Subject: Graph of Struts Growth.l
>
> Back in Feburary of 2001 when I proposed to my new
> employer that we use struts, one of the items I looked at was
> mailing list traffic, between it and other open source projects.
> I have been keeping that chart up to date and thought people here
> might find it interesting. This is a simplified chart which only shows
> tomcat and struts list traffic.
>
> Back then the tomcat mailing list traffic was so large that it made the
> struts mailing list traffic look like a straight line. That has definately
> changed !

Over time, the subscription count on the Struts user list has also been
approaching that of the Tomcat user list (largest user list on Jakarta
since "forever") as well.  As of today, and counting digest subsribers to
both lists:

  STRUTS-USER = 2376
  TOMCAT-USER = 2433

Almost there!

> -Rob

Craig

Re: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by John Owen <jo...@hotmail.com>.
Need to loosen that tie just a bit Eddie. ;)
Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

--
Eddie Bush

RE: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
LOL....no...the Rand() is Randomize.  (Completely Useless Data)

Sorry, just thought I'd have a little fun while making a small point.

James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist
http://www.open-tools.org

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

--
Eddie Bush

RE: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.

Re: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

--
Eddie Bush

RE: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.
That's really cool.

Re: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, James Holmes wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 11:18:18 -0800 (PST)
> From: James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Graph of Struts Growth.l
>
> Very interesting!
>
> I would tend to agree with these numbers as the Struts
> Console download rate has significantly increased over
> time.  I get over a hundred downloads a day now versus
> under 50 several months ago.
>
> I wonder if there are any numbers for how many Struts
> downloads there are?  1.0 vs 1.1 vs nighlty?
>
> -james
> http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/

Last time I checked (several months ago), Struts downloads as a whole (I
didn't keep my notes on the split) were in the 10-20k/month range,
compared to Tomcat's 80-100k/month.  I'll see if I can dig up some more
recent figures -- but I don't personally have access to any nice log
analysis software that would make this easy.  Can someone point me to
something useful I can throw against (say) the October 2002 log files?

Craig

Re: Graph of Struts Growth.l

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
Very interesting!