Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by tleveque <tl...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/21 16:15:30 UTC

AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters

Hi,

I have a problem AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters. When I
type characters within the us-ascii set, there is no problem, but as soon as
I use other characters (like 'é'), it doesn't work. The wrong character is
received.
With the Ajax debugger I can see that what is sent is wrong (or maybe
encoded?). For a 'é', it sends is '%C3%A9'. That what is received as the
parameter of the "getChoices" method.

Is there something I can do about that?
I am using Wicket 1.3.5

Thanks...

Re: AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
try calling this method as early as possible 9eg with a servlet filter):
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/javax/servlet/ServletRequest.html#setCharacterEncoding(java.lang.String)

see also:
http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.0.x/api/org/springframework/web/filter/CharacterEncodingFilter.html

Maarten

Posted by Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mbrictson <ma...@55minutes.com>.

Posted by Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com>.
It is working!!! Thanks!!!

Posted by mbrictson <ma...@55minutes.com>.
Are you using Tomcat?

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.
BTW.... it still may be a stupid answer.

--
Marcelo Morales

Re: AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thierry

Meta tags?, don't know about that. Have you seen the Content-type
header on the HTTP response?
What about the choices source for your autocompleter?. Is it in proper
UTF-8 encoded?.
What about -encoding flag passed to javac or
<encoding>UTF-8</encoding> on
<artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>?

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I think everything is fine. At least on the markup side.
> <form id="form1" wicket:id="form1" name="form1" method="post" action=""
> enctype="UTF-8">
>
> Is there something I need to set on the code side?
>
> Thierry
>
> Sent from: Montreal Quebec Canada.
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:00, Marcelo Morales <marcelomorales.name@
> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This may be a stupid answer, but every time I hear something like
>> this, I turn to the usual suspect: bad enconding on source files or
>> the web page itself.
>> Make sure EVERYTHING is properly encoded UTF-8 and not Mac Roman or
>> ISO-8859-1 and not a mix.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Using Wicket 1.3.5?
>> >
>> > Mmmm, I will have to get the source code and check what is happening.
>> Maybe
>> > it have something to do with the fact that I am under Mac OS X? But if it
>> > was the case, why all other fields are ok?
>> > I think I will also try with another ajax component.
>> >
>> > Thierry
>> > Sent from: Montreal Quebec Canada.

>> caf%C3%A9

>> log
>> unable

>> correctly?

>> again?

>> as
>> maybe
>> as

>> --
>> Marcelo Morales

Marcelo Morales

Re: AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters

Posted by Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Morales <ma...@gmail.com>.
This may be a stupid answer, but every time I hear something like
this, I turn to the usual suspect: bad enconding on source files or
the web page itself.
Make sure EVERYTHING is properly encoded UTF-8 and not Mac Roman or
ISO-8859-1 and not a mix.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using Wicket 1.3.5?
>
> Mmmm, I will have to get the source code and check what is happening. Maybe
> it have something to do with the fact that I am under Mac OS X? But if it
> was the case, why all other fields are ok?
> I think I will also try with another ajax component.
>
> Thierry
> Sent from: Montreal Quebec Canada.
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:07, Michael Sparer <mi...@gmx.at> wrote:
>

>> i can't reproduce your problem, if I send café up to the server caf%C3%A9
>> gets send and I receive café at the end of the line ...
>>

>> tleveque wrote:
>> >
>> > The problem is that with any other form fields, what is saved in my
>> models
>> > is fine. All the accentuated characters are fine. If I output (in a log
>> > file
>> > for example) the content of a string field, I can see the accentuated
>> > character.
>> > But with the AutocompleteTextField, if I try to do that in the
>> "getChoice"
>> > method, the "input" parameter output is still "encoded". So I am unable
>> > compare the string with what I have in my db.
>> >
>> > You say that it is actually UTF-8 in the request. Good that is what I
>> > thought first, but why in the java code it is not interpreted correctly?
>> > From what I remember, Java string are always in UTF-8. No?
>> >
>> > Thierry

>> -so

>> When

>> -----
>> Michael Sparer
>> http://techblog.molindo.at
>> --

Marcelo Morales

Re: AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters

Posted by Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com>.
Using Wicket 1.3.5?

Posted by Michael Sparer <mi...@gmx.at>.

tleveque wrote:

> The problem is that with any other form fields, what is saved in my models
> is fine. All the accentuated characters are fine. If I output (in a log
> file
> for example) the content of a string field, I can see the accentuated
> character.
> But with the AutocompleteTextField, if I try to do that in the "getChoice"
> method, the "input" parameter output is still "encoded". So I am unable to
> compare the string with what I have in my db.
>
> You say that it is actually UTF-8 in the request. Good that is what I
> thought first, but why in the java code it is not interpreted correctly?
> From what I remember, Java string are always in UTF-8. No?
>
> Thierry
>

> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:30, Michael Sparer <mi...@gmx.at>
> wrote:
>

>> it isn't the 'wrong character' it's é in UTF8 which is perfectly fine -so
>> you
>> end up with an é at the end of the line - so what's the problem again?
>> :-)
>>
>> regards,
>> Michael
>>

>> tleveque wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a problem AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters. When
>> > type characters within the us-ascii set, there is no problem, but as
>> soon
>> > as I use other characters (like 'é'), it doesn't work. The wrong
>> character
>> > is received.
>> > With the Ajax debugger I can see that what is sent is wrong (or maybe
>> > encoded?). For a 'é', it sends is '%C3%A9'. That what is received as
>> the
>> > parameter of the "getChoices" method.
>> >
>> > Is there something I can do about that?
>> > I am using Wicket 1.3.5
>> >
>> > Thanks...
>> >

>> -----
>> Michael Sparer
>> http://techblog.molindo.at
>> --

-----
Michael Sparer
http://techblog.molindo.at

Re: AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters

Posted by Thierry Leveque <tl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Sparer <mi...@gmx.at>.

tleveque wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem AutoCompleteTextField and accentuated characters. When I
> type characters within the us-ascii set, there is no problem, but as soon
> as I use other characters (like 'é'), it doesn't work. The wrong character
> is received.
> With the Ajax debugger I can see that what is sent is wrong (or maybe
> encoded?). For a 'é', it sends is '%C3%A9'. That what is received as the
> parameter of the "getChoices" method.
>
> Is there something I can do about that?
> I am using Wicket 1.3.5
>
> Thanks...