Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Danielle Syse via user <us...@beam.apache.org> on 2023/08/31 19:41:28 UTC

[Event Report] Beam Summit 2023

Beam Summit 2023 <https://beamsummit.org/> was the eighth and the biggest
edition of the flagship conference for the Apache Beam community. Beam
Summit 2023 took place on June 13 - 15, 2023 as an in-person event,
bringing the community together in NYC, and on July 18-20, 2023 as a
virtual edition. Thank you to all who helped participate and plan another
great year of content and collaboration!

[LINK TO FULL REPORT]
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MjnWBm1TA80R7RhuJggVT1K4HcDz5yGo3ou6VUrBzYc/edit?usp=sharing>

Report prepared by Danielle Syse

------------------------------

Overall Success Metrics

1,204

Registrations

592

Unique Attendees

4.5/5

Satisfaction Score

79

Speakers

193K

Social Media Impressions

1,884

New Social Media Followers

9

Sponsors and Partners

120

Countries Reached

In-person reach

530

Registrations

273

Unique
Attendees

58

Onsite talks

2

Keynotes

27

End-user presentations

6

Workshops

Online reach

672

Online Registrations

310

Remote live attendees

66

Countries

67,996

YouTube Beam Summit 2023 Impressions

23

Avg Users per Session

1,446

Session views

25hrs

Avg Time Spent

548

Reactions to Content

Event overview

Event highlights

   -

   Beam Summit 2023 was the biggest event to date dedicated to the Apache
   Beam project. It was a 6-day event: 3 days in person + 3 days virtual,
   focused on community building and advocacy for Apache Beam.
   -

   Keynotes were the most loved sessions, receiving great feedback from
   both onsite and online attendees:
   -

      Kerry DC <https://2022.beamsummit.org/sessions/google/> and Kenn K
      <https://2022.beamsummit.org/sessions/beam-update/> covered the
      current state and future of Apache Beam
      -

      HSBC <https://2022.beamsummit.org/sessions/hpc-grid/>, Spotify
      <https://2022.beamsummit.org/sessions/spotify/>, Twitter
      <https://2022.beamsummit.org/sessions/twitter/>, and Palo Alto
      Networks <https://2022.beamsummit.org/sessions/beam-palo-alto/>
      showcased large-scale and innovative Beam use cases
      -

   A great number of talks were delivered from end-users that represent
   different industries: Nokia
   <https://beamsummit.org/sessions/2023/beam-in-nokia-nwdaf-distributed-architecture/>,
   Affirm
   <https://beamsummit.org/sessions/2023/use-apache-beam-to-build-machine-learning-feature-system-at-affirm/>
   , LinkedIn
   <https://beamsummit.org/sessions/2023/power-realtime-machine-learning-feature-engineering-with-managed-beam-at-linkedin/>,
   Talend
   <https://beamsummit.org/sessions/2023/beam-at-talend-the-long-road-from-incubator-project-to-cloud-based-pipeline-designer-tool/>,
   Trustpilot
   <https://beamsummit.org/sessions/2023/optimizing-machine-learning-workloads-on-dataflow/>,
   League Inc.
   <https://beamsummit.org/sessions/2023/mapping-data-to-fhir-with-apache-beam/>
between
   others.
   -

   There were 27 user talks and popular tracks were as following:
   -

      IO track: 5 talks
      -

      ML Quasi-track: 9 talks, 1 workshop
      -

      Flink-on-Kubernetes Quasi-track: 4 talks
      -

      Other interesting trends: A cluster of CICD, dependency management
      and compliance talks; cluster of troubleshooting and load testing

   -

   The sessions with most attendees were:

   -

   Beam ML past, present and future
   -

   Mapping Data to FHIR with Apache Beam
   -

   Beam IO: CDAP and SparkReceiver IO Connectors Overview
   -

   Introduction to Clustering in Apache Beam
   -

   Multi-language pipelines: a unique Beam feature that will make your team
   more efficient

   -

   89% of all registered attendees were non-Googlers, and 55% of all
   speakers were non-Googlers.
   -

   Onsite attendance increased by 38% since 2022 and achieved a 46%
   attendance rate (We continue to see the impact of travel restrictions from
   budget cuts due to the global pandemic and economic changes).

   -

   The Multi-language pipelines: a unique Beam feature that will make your
   team more efficient

Event sponsors and partners

Beam Summit 2023 had the highest number of combined sponsors (5) and
partners  (4) to date that contributed to the event's success:

   -

   Sponsors: Google Cloud, AI Camp, Akvelon, Mavencode, DoIt.
   -

   Community partners: Apache Beam, Packt, Techqueria, Latinas in
   Computing.

Workshops

Workshops were designed to provide hands-on experience to get started with
different parts of Beam. Each of the workshops was attended by 25+ people
on average.

Photo highlights from New York

Summary

Beam Summit 2023 was a 6-day (3 in-person + 3 virtual) event for the Apache
Beam community. We reached  1,169 total registrants from 120 countries. The
event was received well, with a satisfaction score of 4.5/5 and provided
high levels of engagement. Around 600 users registered for the in-person
Beam Summit event (+198% since 2022) with 273 unique attendees (+38% since
2022).

Participant Demographics:

   -

   Of all online attendees, 43%  of participants joined from the USA, 12%
   from Canada, 8.7% from Mexico,  8.7% from the UK, 7.9% from India, 7% from
   Germany, 4.5% from Spain, 2.9% from Brazil and 2.9% from France. from
   Asia, 6.4% from South America, 2.6% from Africa, and 0.90% from Oceania.
   -

   For the in-person event, users traveled from all over the world to
   participate spanning across 266 different regions. Overall, the top 25 USA
   departure areas included New York, San Francisco, New Jersey, Seattle,
   Boston, California, and more.
   -

   Internationally, the regions most captured by our in-person audience
   were Mexico City, Toronto, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Belgium, Brazil,
   India, Pakistan, Spain, Paris, Tel Aviv, Vancouver, Bangalore, Bergamo,
   Berlin, and Birmingham.
   -

   For virtual participant experience level with Apache Beam, 56% of users
   were beginners, 39% were intermediate, and 6% were experts showcasing a
   need for differentiation amongst training materials for Beam College and
   Beam Summit.
   -

   Users were introduced to Apache Beam through various forms of outreach.
   Of all attendees, 36% heard about Beam Summit 2023 through email, 22% from
   Dataflow, 17% from work, 14% from social media, 5% from SEO, 4% from
   organic ads, and 4% from local meetups.
   -

   Of all participants, 61% were engineers, 12% architects, 9% were
   top-level decision makers. 8% developers, 7% Product Managers, and 4% data
   scientists.

Engagement:

   -

   Attendance was routinely at its highest during the first day of both the
   in-person and virtual event with keynote “Beam ML Past, Present and Future”
   having the majority of attendees per session at 100 users.
   -

   During the virtual Summit, the average time spent per user across the 3
   days was 12 hours 4 min with an average of 23 users per active session.
   -

   For engagement levels, 25 people asked questions, 47 sent direct
   messages, and over 548 emojis were used as reactions to the content.

Program:

   -

   Beam Summit 2023 was a two-part event series with unique content
   delivered in person in New York City and showcased virtually on-demand to a
   global audience at a later date. The in-person sessions were recorded for
   those who could not attend due to travel restrictions and budget cuts. All
   of the sessions are now available on the Apache Beam YouTube channel.
   <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4dEBWmGSIU9Lq2BKRDz3ksRdoPJB13Fg>

   -

      There are 56 sessions recorded and uploaded to YouTube with over 141
      hours of knowledgeable content for our users.
      -

      Since upload, there have been over 67,996 impressions with an
      additional 28 subscribers after viewing the Beam Summit content.
      -

   The most significant focus for the organizers this year was to highlight
   the end users of Apache Beam to strengthen the message that Beam is a
   production-ready open-source tool with a large user community.
   -

   This year, we had 2 keynote sessions followed by 58 talks and 6
   workshops for the Beam Summit event series (+29% increase in sessions
   compared to 2022).

Schedule:

   -

   The event resulted in collaboration opportunities with end users on
   small and medium-scale projects including the implementation of Dask and
   Ray runners, Apache Hop and Beam integration, Pipeline design for end
   users, performance optimization, etc
   -

   The event offered 6 in-person workshops for attendees to get started
   with different components of Beam, with an average of 25+  live attendees
   per workshop and high satisfaction score.
   -

   The Summit partnered with AI Camp to offer exclusive access to AI Meetup
   Wednesday evening of the event which attracted more than 500+  additional
   attendees. Due to capacity, we could only accommodate 271 in addition to
   the Beam Summit attendees who stayed for the meet up.
   -

   General social events were not included in the schedule for in-person
   networking opportunities due to budget restrictions.
   -

   Google Cloud customer happy hour was hosted on day 1 which was attended
   by 30+ top Dataflow customers (representing: Spotify, PANW, …).

Communication:

   -

   The event was first-time promoted by the Apache Software Foundation
   across their social media channels during the event.
   -

   3 new case studie <https://beam.apache.org/case-studies/>s finalized
   development and were highlighted at the event.
   -

   The Beam Summit coincided with the release of additional learning tools
   of Tour of Beam <https://tour.beam.apache.org/> (interactive guided
   learning tutorial) and Beam Quest
   <https://beam.apache.org/get-started/resources/learning-resources/#getting-started-with-apache-beam-quest>
   (first ever GCP credential for an OSS project) which was promoted at the
   Summit.
   -

   Promotions for Beam Summit 2023 were done via direct outreach, email
   marketing, and organic social media promotions due to budget restrictions.

Find us on Social Media

Twitter | @BeamSummit <https://twitter.com/BeamSummit>  @ApacheBeam
<https://twitter.com/apachebeam?lang=en>  LinkedIn | Apache Beam LinkedIn
Group <https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12004045/> Apache Beam LinkedIn
Account <https://www.linkedin.com/company/80000291/admin/>  Slack | ASF
#Beam-Events-meetups #Beam-Summit-Attendees

Re: [Event Report] Beam Summit 2023

Posted by Ahmet Altay via dev <de...@beam.apache.org>.
(just the dev list)

This was a hugely successful event. It was also the 6th annual iteration of
Beam Summit. The summit is getting bigger and better each year!

Thanks to Danielle for sending this report, thanks to all organizers, all
speakers, all participants, all sponsors for making this event a huge
success!

Ahmet