Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Michalis <mi...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/06 15:49:49 UTC

Activemq Involvment

Hi!

I don't understand when activemq is involved (used) by servicemix.

For example if I deploy camel routes that do not include
any jms or activemq components then does service mix use
activemq for those routes?

If the answer for above question is no then how does servicemix
support high availability?

Thanks

Re: Activemq Involvment

Posted by Michalis <mi...@gmail.com>.
thank you Giannh and Christian

Re: Activemq Involvment

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michali,

People that were ServiceMix as a JBI container could use "Jms Flows" which
allowed components / endpoints communicate via JMS. This could be also used
in order to have high availability etc. So in this scenario ActiveMQ had an
involvement.

The whole JBI concept though is kinda dead and is deprecated. So when we
are talking about ServiceMix nowadays we are mostly talking about "Camel
over Karaf".
ServiceMix will not perform any hidden magic that will put ActiveMQ in your
routes. You can still use ActiveMQ in your route if wish to.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*

Re: Activemq Involvment

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Servicemix or more specifically camel does not use activemq unless you
use the activemq or jms components.
Of course this also means that not all camel routes are transactional or
reliable.

Camel stores messages only in memory when traversing routes. In most
cases this is good enough though. For example when you start a route
with a cxf http endpoint
you will not have transactionality anyway as the soap entry point is not
transactional.

Camel can be made really reliable and transactional but this requires to
use transactional endpoints and must be set up very carefully. The
transactional endpoints I know of in camel are
cxf with jms transport, jdbc and jms. So if you intend to use cameel in
this way I recommend you let someone with good camel knowledge review
your routes or do extensive testing.

Christian

On 08.02.2013 09:07, Michalis wrote:
> So for me to get a better understanding 2 more questions!
>
> 1)It is mentioned almost everywhere that servicemix like all other esbs has
> a reliable message bus. How is  that bus implemented?
>
> 2)If i deploy one and only one route in smx
> from(cxf:bean:oneEndPoin).to("cxf:bean:otherEndpoint")
> does smx use AvtiveMQ JMS for this route?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answer because I'm little confused!

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: Activemq Involvment

Re: Activemq Involvment

Posted by Michalis <mi...@gmail.com>.
thanks Freeman

Re: Activemq Involvment

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

When start Servicemix, an embedded amq broker get started as well listening on default port 61616.
And the answer for your question is no.  Servicemix doesn't provider HA OOTH, it enable you to provide that feature based on your business logic.
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Twitter: freemanfang