Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jens Geyer <je...@apache.org> on 2023/04/08 09:04:22 UTC

PRs and reviews actvity

@all,

we have a queue of several PRs on Github that are open for quite a while
now. I probably overlooked something but these are the data I collected
right now. Especially for a project like Thruft it is hard for the few
active maintainers to do all that work. Very few people are willing to
spemnd valuable life time on immersing themselves into 10, 15 or 20
languages enough to be able to do a qualified PR. So we all have our
specialties and that's fine. But it also implies, we definitely need
more hands on deck to deal with those incoming PRs in at least /some/
timely manner.

Most open PRs we have are related to three very mainstream languages so
we theoretically should have enough people around already who could do a
review:

- C++: 7
- Java: 7
- Python: 7

Then we have a second group where there is probably not too many people
around and/or these PRs just did not catch enough interest (ie. Go,Rust)

- Go: 2
- Rust: 2
- Ruby: 2
- Swift: 2
- Javascript: 2
- Erlang: 1

Also we have a number of CI-related PRs. Here we also have the
additional issue that Travis is no longer available which is a set-back
to the CI as a whole - aside from the fact that constant changes also
caused lots of trouble with it over the years before. So I'm personally
not really sure what to do with these.

- CI: 5

Have fun,
JensG

Re: PRs and reviews actvity

Posted by Jiayu Liu <ji...@hey.com.INVALID>.
I am looking for help in making
https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/2787 work, from experts of Python
libraries.

As a context, I am trying to migrate the current CI into GitHub actions
by introducing per language CI steps. So far compiler itself, libraries
including Java, Kotlin, rust, and Swift are covered. While trying to
enable Python I hit a block around passing SSL socket tests.

Ideally this should be merged along with an effort to remove support for
Python 2 which has reached EOL long time ago.

--
Sent with HEY <https://hey.com/sent>