Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Markus KARG <ma...@quipsy.de> on 2006/09/15 11:15:35 UTC

J2EE Client Application JAR is not detected as J2EE module

I am using the EAR packaging to let Mvn2 create an .ear file plus
automatically create an application.xml inside of it.
It detects all my EJB modules, but it doesn't detect that one of the
included JARs is not a utility JAR but in fact a "J2EE Client
Application JAR".
Maybe the packaging type I have used for that JAR is wrong (I used JAR
since I thought the EAR packager will detect the contained
client-application.xml file).
So what is the correct way to specify "J2EE Client Application JAR"
packaging instead of simple utility "JAR" packaging?

Thanks a lot!
Markus

Re: J2EE Client Application JAR is not detected as J2EE module

Posted by Markus KARG <ka...@quipsy.de>.
Alexander Sack schrieb:

> Quoting the spec is somewhat comical...thank god we aren't talking
> Java ME...
>
> Try deploying your Glassfish EAR on JBoss and see how far you get.

Then this is a JBoss problem but not a EAR-plugin problem, actually.

>   JBoss doesn't support Java EE 5 packaging though it does support
> EJB3 jars.

Actually it is not Java EE 5 packaging we are talking about but J2EE 1.4
packaging, actually.
It has nothing to do with EJB3 in fact.

>   Let's not get into Websphere's lack of compliance.

Websphere problem are to be handled by websphere but not by Maven, too.
Why always trying to put workarounds for JBoss and Websphere bugs into
Maven?
I have deployed my J2EE 1.4 EARs without any problems on JOnAS and
Glassfish, so in in fact there are at least two open source J2EE 1.4
compliant products that do not need any special tweaks in Maven, so why
should Maven care for the bugs of others?

>   Your speaking idealogically, not reality.

See above. We are working with "clean" EARs for years, actually. So what
is not reality on the fact that we are using clean J2EE 1.4 compliant
EARs on two distinct open source products? What is idealism when I say
"ask JBoss and Websphere to fix their bugs"?

> The spec isn't BIBLE

Why shouldn't it be? If you want a J2EE logo, it IS actually.

> and there is INTENTIONALLY a lot of room for interpretation in several
> areas including packaging (Classpath and scope come to mind can get
> really nasty).

In fact there is no room if you want a J2EE logo. Ask Bill SHANNON (spec
lead) if you think that there is some room for discussions. Actually
there is none at all. You might think there is, but there is not.

>   There is also the issue of how compliant an appserver really is.

Either it is, or it is not. There is a certification by Sun that shows
who is.

> For instance, RIGHT NOW, JBoss supports EJB3 but doesn't support the
> latest servlet spec or Java EE 5 packing rules (I believe scheduled
> for JBoss 5.x).

JBoss is not certified to be Java EE 5 compliant but only to be J2EE 1.4
compliant. EJB3 is part of Java EE 5.

>   In fact, I believe a lot of the EJB3 style plugin questions are
> coming from folks who aren't sure whether to use the EJB plugin or the
> JAR one (I use the JAR one since in effect that's all that's really
> needed) because depending on the platform, the packaging maybe
> slightly different (some even remember the infamous PAR that was in a
> draft for the peristence stuff).

I think the additions are coming because no one of that people have ever
read the J2EE deployment API spec (JSR 88), actually.

>  So in a nutshell, for my platform, Jboss is a hybrid Java EE 1.4/5
> platform which transcends THE SPEC.

Again, JBoss is not certified to be EJB 3 compliant currently. That work
is still in progress. Check again JSR 88 compliant packaging once JBoss
is certified by Java EE 5. Until then, try JSR 88 compliant packagin on
current JBoss using the DeploymentManager described by JSR 88 but not
proprietary means of deployment and THEN you'll see that it will work.
In fact, e. g. JOnAS 4.7.6 is not able to support "clean" packaging when
using proprietary tools, but it is when using the specification
compliant ones.

> Also, there are always extra files needed to make things ACTUALLY work
> on the platform that is outside the spec as well as platform quirks
> that need to be taken into account (what's APP-INF/lib unless your on
> WebLogic again?).

Wrong, once more, sorry: Check that on Glassfish (= Reference
Implementation) and JOnAS 4.8.x.
Both will work without any vendor specific files, actually.

> Now back on topic (Maven2!) and my original point, it would be nice if
> the EAR plugin could generate platform specific files on the fly
> (jboss-web.xml for example) or augment the packaging to fit the
> platform somewhat (for jboss, if I have a lib directory and I'm on
> JBoss 4.x, it doesn't support the Java EE 5 lib concept and as such
> you need to put these libraries in the Class-Path manifest entries a
> la 1.4 of each EJB JAR associated with the EAR to put them on the
> class-path - I'm not sure how to do that automatically with Maven2,
> btw maybe there is a way and I haven't found it yet, still learning
> Maven2 - oh the EAR deployer on JBoss also doesn't support the
> Extension mechanism defined by the spec as well, so even when a
> platform does follow the spec, its only up to a certain point).

Wouldn't it be a nice solution to have the JBoss specifics in a JBoss
plugin, and the Websphere specifics in a Websphere plugin? Why should
the EAR plugin get loaded with all that things that are special to those
products? For example, ANT provides "clean" tasks that can be extended
by vendor-specific ones for EJB handling. So why not doing that in
Maven, too?

> Architecturally speaking, the platform version could dictate the EAR
> plugin level of compliance, so if I'm using Maven2 EAR plugin on
> Glassfish it knows to package things according to Java EE 5 but if I'm
> on JBoss 3.x, go with 1.4 conventions etc.

Why using EAR plugin at all when the result you like to get is not J2EE
compliant but a JBoss invention? I mean, why not adding a JBoss plugin
that creates the type you like, and then set packagin=jboss-ear instead
of ear?

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.
Quoting the spec is somewhat comical...thank god we aren't talking Java
ME...

Try deploying your Glassfish EAR on JBoss and see how far you get.   JBoss
doesn't support Java EE 5 packaging though it does support EJB3 jars.  Let's
not get into Websphere's lack of compliance.  Your speaking idealogically,
not reality.  The spec isn't BIBLE and there is INTENTIONALLY a lot of room
for interpretation in several areas including packaging (Classpath and scope
come to mind can get really nasty).  There is also the issue of how
compliant an appserver really is.  For instance, RIGHT NOW, JBoss supports
EJB3 but doesn't support the latest servlet spec or Java EE 5 packing rules
(I believe scheduled for JBoss 5.x).  In fact, I believe a lot of the EJB3
style plugin questions are coming from folks who aren't sure whether to use
the EJB plugin or the JAR one (I use the JAR one since in effect that's all
that's really needed) because depending on the platform, the packaging maybe
slightly different (some even remember the infamous PAR that was in a draft
for the peristence stuff).  So in a nutshell, for my platform, Jboss is a
hybrid Java EE 1.4/5 platform which transcends THE SPEC.  Also, there are
[...]

1.4 conventions etc.  All I'm saying is that packaging for production is

Posted by Markus KARG <ka...@quipsy.de>.
Wrong, once more. ;-)

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus KARG <ka...@quipsy.de>.

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@kolumbus.fi>.

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@gmx.net>.
Sorry, wrong, once more. ;-)

The J2EE specification says that an EAR contains not only EJB, WAR, RAR
and other modules, but also one or more Client Application Modules. When
deploying the EAR on the server, it's the server's job to publish the
client to the client machines. For example, SAS9 is using JNLP /
WebStart to support this demand.

I want the EAR plugin to detect that a dependency is not an EJB, WAR or
RAR but such a Client Application Module (by inspecting whether the JAR
contains a /META-INF/application-client.xml file). Such a JAR is not
only to be contained in the EAR (is it is as any JAR is), but also add
an <java>xyz.jar</java> entry to the automatically generated
application.xml file that the EAR plugin creates and puts into the EAR
(as it does it with EJB, WAR or RAR modules already). In fact from the
view of the J2EE 1.4 specification, a client-application JAR is to be
treated as an EJB, WAR or RAR is treated: Detect that it is a module,
detect the type of the module, contain it in the EAR, add an entry to
the application.xml file. Everything is done by the EAR plugin correctly
but not the last step: The EAR plugin currently detects the type of
module (it needs to know the type to know what to write into the
application.xml) by mapping file extensions to module types. For EJB,
WAR or RAR this is sufficient. But to support client applications, the
EAR plugin must learn to differenciate between utility JARs and client
application JARs (since both share the extension of ".jar", so the type
detection is not possible).

To learn this, the work is easy: For each .jar file found in the
dependencies that is to be added to the EAR, check whether there is a
file called "/META-INF/application-client.xml" found inside of that JAR.
If true, the type of this jar is not "JAR" but "application-client", and
such an entry to the EAR's automatically generated application.xml file
has to be added using the "<java>" type of <module> tag. That's all to
be found inside of the J2EE specification, most of it in chapter 9, but
also in the chapter on the application.xml schema (look at the
declaration of <module> and you will find <java>).

So actually the EAR plugin can be extended to support this essential
part of J2EE 1.4 within one or two code lines. Can anybody please add
that? :-)

Thanks!
Markus

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@gmx.net>.
Alexander,

Posted by Alexander Sack <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@quipsy.de>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.

--
Un chewing-gum? Non merci, jamais pour parler.