Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Howard Chu <hy...@symas.com> on 2007/11/14 18:32:34 UTC

[ApacheDS] Change log ietf draft

> This is really not a change log draft. It goes beyond and logs any LDAP
> operation. More to come soon..

Right, it's a superset of a change log. It can be used solely as a change log
if desired. The OpenLDAP implementation lets you choose which specific types
of operation to log as well as classes of ops (reads, writes, etc.). The
delta-syncrepl implementation in OpenLDAP relies on it as a change log, but
some sites use it to log everything.

I think the motivation is already explained in the doc - LDAP is the hammer,
everything else is a nail; there's no need to use multiple protocols to
administer all the servers in an enterprise when LDAP will do it all
conveniently and securely.

It's been pointed out to me that this isn't currently a complete replacement
for syslog; it doesn't record events that are not directly associated with
LDAP operations. E.g. connection accept() and close() events are missing, nor
does it log spontaneously generated errors. That hasn't been a big issue so far.

--
   -- Howard Chu