Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by sahanashankar <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/17 11:59:55 UTC

Usage of HBase Slow Query Log

Hello,

I am having difficulty in understanding how to use the HBase Slow Query Log.
I understand the theory and its intended use but i am facing problems with
its implementation.

Can somebody please guide me to any such example implementation of slow
query log so that i get an idea of how to use this structure? I did try
searching the internet for any such information but i couldn't find anything
helpful.

Thanks

Re: Usage of HBase Slow Query Log

Posted by Esteban Gutierrez <es...@cloudera.com>.
Hello,

the slow query log only prints in the RS and the HBase Master logs details
about a request that took above hbase.ipc.warn.response.time (default 10000
milliseconds). Which is helpful to troubleshoot performance issues in
HBase, usually this log messages are triggered due some contention in the
RS (an ongoing major compaction, low locality, slow network, concurrent
scans, etc.)  or even a complex filter from a scanner.

Probably the best way to find out how you can use this log is by
experimenting with different types of operations and using a lower timeout
so this log gets triggered more frequently, however the exposed JMX metrics
are usually enough for monitoring purposes.

cheers,
esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.