Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Peter <gr...@gmx.de> on 2018/11/26 15:32:50 UTC

Speed Expectations for Ignite Queue

Hello,

I'm currently trying Apache Ignite and love the concept.

I have created a simple example of what I'm trying to achieve
(producer&consumer):

https://github.com/karussell/igniteexample/blob/master/src/main/java/test/MyIgnite.java

My assumption is that the default settings are tuned to get a setup that
is okayish-fast and also without persistence and so comparing the speed
to LinkedBlockingQueue shouldn't be that unfair. My expectation here is
that ignite is 10-50x slower due to serialization overhead still
happening for localhost.

But it seems that ignite queue is 100-500 times slower. What am I doing
wrong here or did I simply have too optimistic expectations? Maybe
non-default settings like here
<http://apache-ignite-users.70518.x6.nabble.com/Impact-of-connectionsPerNode-and-pairedConnection-td18996.html>
would be better suited? See also MyIgniteSingle1.java where I also warm
up everything before measuring the speed. I also tried various different
JVM settings <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/jvm-and-system-tuning>
without success.

Kind Regards
Peter

PS: I cross-posted this a few days ago on SO:
https://stackoverflow.com/q/53454232/194609

Re: Speed Expectations for Ignite Queue

Posted by Ilya Kasnacheev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

I think that you had too optimistic expectations. LinkedBlockingQueue is a
core Java data structure and it is very fast - it just writes a reference
to data structure in best case scenario.

Meanwhile, Ignite Queue will create several internal temporary objects
(such as distributed locks/futures) while processing addition or removal as
well as doing serialization.

Ilya Kasnacheev

Posted by Peter <gr...@gmx.de>.
To answer my own question: the speed seems to be expected and lays in
the same range like e.g. redis+redisson

Peter