Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2010/05/15 09:29:49 UTC

Does Web2 actually works?

Hi,

Documentation says that
"Note that the web interface is not being maintained."

However enabling
CONFIG proxy.config.diags.debug.tags STRING http.*|ui.*|web2.*

Shows:
Manager {3054115728} DEBUG: (ui) [WebIntrMain] Starting up Web Server on Port 8081
Manager {3054115728} DEBUG: (ui) SSL enabled is 0
Manager {3054115728} DEBUG: (ui) [WebIntrMain] Starting Client AutoConfig Server on Port 8083

Nevertheless the `netstat -p | grep traffic` shows nothing listening on the port 8081
neither the log shows any error messages.

Am I missing something obvious?

Regards
--
^TM

Re: Does Web2 actually works?

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On May 15, 2010, at 7:19 AM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 05/15/2010 01:35 PM, Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>>>
>>> Documentation says that
>>> "Note that the web interface is not being maintained."
>>>
>>> Am I missing something obvious?
>>
>> My personal preference would be to nuke all of the
>> GUI, and if someone is interested, we do a complete rewrite using modern
>> tools (Apache HTTPD + other tools).
>>

> Hmm, I was actually thrilled with the possibility to
> manage the TS without the need to install, setup and
> manage whole bunch of modules.

Yeah, the GUI is "ok", but will need serious work to get up to speed with all the changes from the last 4+ years.

And in particular, code related to stats graphs is completely broken, I really think the best solution there is to integrate with some modern tool/GUI for graphing.

> Having additional components(modules) that would allow
> management from Httpd or Tomcat is fine.
>
> Actually dunno what to think right now.
> Think that it would be much easier to enable web2 again
> then to rewrite that from the scratch, but might be
> I'm under estimating the problems.

I'm not against it if someone wants to own and work on it. The GUI did work before we moved to Apache, albeit many features were crippled or broken. But basic admin of common settings and config rules did work. I just don't know if anyone is interested to own and work on it. But maybe we have a new owner now? :)

Cheers,

-- Leif

Re: Does Web2 actually works?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: Does Web2 actually works?

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 05/15/2010 01:29 AM, Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Documentation says that
> "Note that the web interface is not being maintained."
>
> However enabling
> CONFIG proxy.config.diags.debug.tags STRING http.*|ui.*|web2.*
>
> Shows:
> Manager {3054115728} DEBUG: (ui) [WebIntrMain] Starting up Web Server
> on Port 8081
> Manager {3054115728} DEBUG: (ui) SSL enabled is 0
> Manager {3054115728} DEBUG: (ui) [WebIntrMain] Starting Client
> AutoConfig Server on Port 8083
>
> Nevertheless the `netstat -p | grep traffic` shows nothing listening
> on the port 8081
> neither the log shows any error messages.
>
> Am I missing something obvious?

No :). The GUI is disabled by default, there's an option to turn it on,
but last I tried, I couldn't even login to it. We're seriously thinking
of removing the GUI completely,  we really don't like how it's
integrated into "traffic_manager", it ought to be a standalone GUI built
on top of Apache or something. My personal preference would be to nuke
all of the GUI, and if someone is interested, we do a complete rewrite
using modern tools (Apache HTTPD + other tools).

We'd still need to keep the CLI part of the management system though, to
expose an API for a Web GUI (and other monitoring tools) to be built on
top of.

-- Leif