Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/23 09:22:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] Remove contributors name from commit summary

Hi all,

Currently we are supposed to append the contributors name to the commit
summary when they are not committers of the project. The main reason for
doing this if I am not mistaken is to give some credit to those people.

I did like this practice in the beginning but I think it adds some small
overhead to all parties involved (committers and contributors).

The contributor quite often forgets to include the name in the end so the
burden to find and append the name goes to the committer.

In various cases, I've seen PRs ready to merge which were actually missing
the name at the end. What usually happens afterwards is one of the
following:
* the committer merges the PR without amending the name;
* the committer rebases the PR, amends the commit, and merges it;
* the committer asks the contributor to change the commit message;

I would prefer it if we could avoid this overhead by changing the commit
guidelines to not append the contributors name at the end.

GitHub does a great job giving credit to contributors. Moreover in most
cases the name appears in the log under the author tag so it is very easy
to exploit if we want to extract information and statistics.

What do you think?

Best,
Stamatis

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove contributors name from commit summary

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
+1 One of the reasons it was there was to make generating the
changelog easier. However, this could be easily scripted to pull out
the contributors name if needed.
--
Michael Mior
mmior@apache.org

回复:[DISCUSS] Remove contributors name from commit summary

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
Stamatis>I don't think someone is spending time going over the list of
contributors

I agree here. It should be automated in order to be workable.
The contributors link you suggest is nice.

Vladimir

Re: [DISCUSS] Remove contributors name from commit summary

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I will update the commit guidelines
accordingly.

For the release notes, I don't have a preference. I don't think someone is
spending time going over the list of contributors (apart maybe from PMCs
for inviting new committers :)).
If we want to include something then we could possibly include a GitHub
link showing the contributors for a certain period of time (from last
release date to current release date) such as the following:
https://github.com/apache/calcite/graphs/contributors?from=2021-06-04&to=2021-09-24

Best,
Stamatis

Posted by Haisheng Yuan <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by 953396112 <13...@qq.com.INVALID>.
hi Julian:
&nbsp; &nbsp;I think you have a good idea. In the Calcite community, people can know who has made changes by browsing GitHub, the number of PR contributions and the activity of the community.And People can know their contributions in `https://github.com/apache/calcite/graphs/contributors`.
&nbsp; &nbsp;I hope the Calcite community will be better.

Xzh

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
+1