Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Edmund Wong <ed...@belfordhk.com> on 2009/10/21 05:30:03 UTC

Re: ** SPAM ** : [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED]price-21-Oct-2009

Hi,

It seems as if this Aym-nvs have been given the
green light to post on this list w/o moderation.
Can any administrator please remove it from
the list of permitted posters?

Btw, moderators can't remove posters only admins
can, right?

Edmund

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409640

Re: ** SPAM ** : [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED]price-21-Oct-2009

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Edmund Wong wrote:
>It seems as if this Aym-nvs have been given the
>green light to post on this list w/o moderation.
>Can any administrator please remove it from
>the list of permitted posters?
>
>Btw, moderators can't remove posters only admins
>can, right?

and there is:

     'Notice about your recent message to svn@subversion.tigris.org'

too
--

Lorenz

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409645

Re: ** SPAM ** : [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED]price-21-Oct-2009

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
On Oct 21, 2009, at 5:17 PM, Paul Charlton wrote:

> General question here ... does it appear that the account of someone
> real
> was hijacked by a botnet, or did the bot manage to register itself?
> I have
> seen a similar problem on other list servers in the past 2 weeks ...

I think the address describes a real person. There are (non-
subscriber) posts in several projects with that email address, a real
human name, and legitimate-sounding questions and comments.

Here's one example:

   http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=986384

I can only speculate how this got hijacked, but it looks not
inconsistent with a mailer virus, so perhaps the user just needs a
hygiene lesson?

-==-
Jack Repenning
Chief Technology Officer
CollabNet, Inc.
8000 Marina Boulevard, Suite 600
Brisbane, California 94005
office: +1 650.228.2562
twitter: http://twitter.com/jrep

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2410037

RE: ** SPAM ** : [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED]price-21-Oct-2009

Posted by Paul Charlton <te...@byiq.com>.
General question here ... does it appear that the account of someone real
was hijacked by a botnet, or did the bot manage to register itself?  I have
seen a similar problem on other list servers in the past 2 weeks ...

Best regards,
Paul

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409943

Re: ** SPAM ** : [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED]price-21-Oct-2009

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 16:37, Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2009, at 12:36 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> I've attempted to remove the email address, but tigris seems to have
>> some issues with it.
>
> As it turns out, the address is subscribed to announce@, dev@, and users@
> (all for subversion.tigris.org). The "users@" sub is the one that was
> actually "trusted". I removed that trust bit. The address is still
> subscribed to all three lists, but is no longer "trusted" in any of them.
>
> I'm interested in learning more about the incident. In particular, what
> first drew attention to this? From our understanding of the bug I mentioned,
> it screws up the display but the lists still act right. That is, since this
> address was in fact only marked "trusted" for users@ (whatever the
> screwed-up UI was saying), the address only had unmoderated posting rights
> in users@. If you have seen behavior that makes you doubt this, please tell
> me more!

I was somehow able to get one of the Trusted flags unchecked (there
*were* two, got one unchecked, leaving the one you saw). Must have
been the dev@ list (where we saw an anti-spam removal report come in
from that address).

Cheers,
-g

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409971

Re: ** SPAM ** : [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED]price-21-Oct-2009

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409955

Re: ** SPAM ** : [WARNING: VIRUS REMOVED]price-21-Oct-2009

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2409665