Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org> on 2023/01/29 17:31:47 UTC

[QUESTION] do pom files need to have a license header

Hi everyone,

The Apache Pekko builds use the sbt tool for building and this generates pom files for us. They do not include any headers (example [1]).
It seems the norm to add an XML comment with Apache License info (example from log4j [2]).
Does the Pekko team need to fix this or is it just a nicety to have the license header in the pom files? If the answer is that we do need to fix this, does this also apply to other published files? sbt generates and publishes a 'buildinfo' file as part of the maven publish (example [2]).

Regards,
PJ

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/pekko/pekko-actor_2.13/0.0.0+26546-767209a8-SNAPSHOT/pekko-actor_2.13-0.0.0+26546-767209a8-SNAPSHOT.pom
[2] https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/logging/log4j/log4j-api/2.19.0/log4j-api-2.19.0.pom
[3] https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/pekko/pekko-actor_2.13/0.0.0+26546-767209a8-SNAPSHOT/pekko-actor_2.13-0.0.0+26546-767209a8-SNAPSHOT.buildinfo

Re: [QUESTION] do pom files need to have a license header

Posted by PJ Fanning <fa...@apache.org>.
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have raised an issue to investigate the possibilities about getting a header comment in the pom files we generate. I suspect we will need a change to the sbt build tool or one of its plugins.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

In general, it is best to have ASF headers on all possible files. That way if they become separated from the source bundle, people will know what license it’s under and where it comes from. (Also see [3]) People reviewing releases are less likely to ask if these are 3rd party files. The policy [1] does list some files that don’t require a header but pom files are not in that list. [2] However given the files are autogenerated they would probably not be covered by copyright and not need a header.

Kind Regards,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-whyheader

Re: [QUESTION] do pom files need to have a license header

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
The source archive/tarball includes a LICENSE and NOTICE which specifies
the license for that artifact. The individual files' header simply
reinforces that.

In some release artifacts, individual files have a slightly different
license (eg. a third-party MIT-licensed piece of source), which definitely
needs to be recorded within those files.

IMO, it is just fine for the pom file to not contain a license header,
since the entire distribution is licensed as ALv2.

Cheers,
-g