Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Molloy <mm...@ncycles.com> on 2002/02/28 18:23:48 UTC

Got some questions about load balancing in 3.3a

I've got some questions about load balancing with Tomcat 3.3a.

First of all, the Tomcat-Workers-How-To that comes with 3.3a says that the workers.properties file contains working entries for an Ajp12, Ajp13, and a load balancing worker. However, it also says that the tomcat workers to be used for load balancing should not appear in the worker.list property, but they do in the default workers.properties file. Should they or should they not be in that list?

Also, if I want to load balance using a remote machine, what configuration changes need to be made to the tomcat config files on that remote machine? Is it as simple as changing the remote worker port to match the port on the host machine? For example,

Computer host workers.properties excerpt:
worker.test.port=10001
worker.test.host=192.168.0.43
worker.test.type=ajp13

worker.loadbalancer.type=lb
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp12, ajp13, test

Computer remote (192.168.0.43) workers.properties excerpt
worker.test.port=10001
worker.test.host=localhost
worker.test.type=ajp13

I'm really confused at this point. I tried this the other day and couldn't get the host machine to communicate with the remote machine. Can someone offer some insight?

Thanks
--Michael